Chapter 11

Every Friday I have a free period between lunch and chemistry. I'm supposed to spend this time setting up tutoring schedules and planning special events for the underclassmen. But I had Ryan help me write a code to figure out the scheduling itself and there's enough school sanctioned events coming up soon that I don't need to add anything else.

It's a beautiful day today, the kind of weather that will soon disappear. I sit in the perfectly manicured grass with some homework in front of me. There's a few other prefects out as well, taking advantage of the last few days of summer. Despite the fact that I have a seven page essay due on Monday, I haven't touched any of my work. I loosen my tie and stare down at my phone.

I need to talk to my dad.

That woman from last night rattled me in a way I didn't think possible. And it's his fucking fault for leaving me in the dark. I could make his life miserable in a multitude of ways. I could tell my mom about the whole interaction; she'd be livid. I could leak some embarrassing pictures to the soldiers. I could even tell on him to Zio Gio. But that's not what I want.

I was up late last night churning through my thoughts. Trying to figure out exactly what I want from him. And I think I finally figured it out. I tap at my phone and hold it to my ear.

It only rings once before he answers, "tesoro? Stai bene?"
(Sweetheart? You okay?)

"Ciao Papa," I reply.

"What did you do?" he asks hesitantly.

"Oh nothing, I'm not in trouble," I assure him.

"What is it then?" he asks. "As lovely as it is to hear your voice, you never call."

"I had a really weird interaction with the nighttime house matron yesterday," I start.

"Did you get caught sneaking out again?" he sighs on the other side of the call.

"That's not the point," I quickly counter.

"Then what is the point?" he questions.

I take a deep breath before saying, "my mom, Maria, went to Montrose."

The call goes silent. He has no quick response. No witty counterargument. He's been caught. Lies of omission are still lies.

"How-" I cut him off before he can finish the question.

"She called me Maria," I state. More silence.

"Isabelle," he says softly.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask bluntly.

"I never thought anyone would actually-"

"What? See the resemblance?" I scoff.

"Elle, tesoro-"

"You fucked up, Dad," I tell him. "And I know what I want in return."

"Anything," he promises quickly.

"I want to be seriously considered as your heir," I declare. It's not my dream goal in life but anyone can see that Enzo would run the family straight into the ground. He's more arrogant and impulsive than our Zio Antonio.

"No," he replies firmly.

"Why not?" I push back.

"Don't start," he warns.

"Don't act like Enzo is the best candidate," I scoff. "Everyone knows he'll destroy us."

"No."

"At least consider it!" I huff, adding, "I'm even older than you were when you started training. You know that times running out to train your heir."