Chapter 48

Christmas with the DiSilva's is a different kind of holiday. It's a day in which all of the adults are able to put things into perspective. When they're able to realize just how much they've lost and just how much they have now.

There's a special appreciation for family on this day.

I suppose the same goes for me as well. Sure, my parents were murdered when I was a baby. I never had the chance to know them and hell, I don't even remember them.

But in exchange, I got a new family. New parents and a gang of little siblings. And I truly am grateful for each and every one of them.

My father, despite being stubborn and borderline cocky, just wants the best for me; for us all. That's why he pushes me; in academics, in ballet, in training. Even though he ignores most of what I have to say, I know he's trying his best to keep me safe and protected.

My mother, hopeful and optimistic at every turn, just wants me to have a better life than she did. That's why school is so important. That's why having friends is so important. Because she doesn't want me to be the prisoner she was at my age.

Enzo, one of the most impulsive idiots I've ever met, is really an insecure boy. He's not sure where he stands which is why he lashes out so much. But those rare instances where we can actually talk make up for it all.

The littles, entitled and spoiled, simply don't know any other life. It's not their fault that our father kept them sheltered and hidden away. It's not their fault that he never says no. And as they get older, they're starting to become their own person.

Christmas morning never consists of much; not since we all stopped believing in Baba Natale. The chefs make pastries and we all sit around the fireplace in the library while some Christmas movie plays.

The excitement truly comes when the rest of the family arrives.

I'm finishing up my hair when I hear the doorbell ring. I rush into the hallway at the same time as Gabby. We lock eyes for a moment before running for the stairs.

I get to the foyer first but Enzo has already opened the door. Gio and Rosa saunter in with bright smiles and arm fulls of presents. My cousins follow close behind also carrying small mountains of wrapped gifts.

"Merry Christmas," I say brightly.

"Merry Christmas, tesoro," Zio Gio chuckles. "Help an old man out, will ya?"

I grab a few of the gifts from his arms and head towards the living room. The tree has been carefully decorated by my mother but it doesn't quite matter. The monstrous pile of gifts cover nearly the entire thing.

"C'mon," Gabby grabs Annabella. "I have to show you something."

The two disappear back upstairs. There are no words exchanged between them but Enzo leads our other cousins away as well.

"Kids?" Mom calls out. "Who is it?"

"It's Zio Gio!" Sofia screeches, appearing in the doorway. She rushes over to hug him tightly.

"Wow," Zia Rosa sighs dramatically. "I'm really feeling the love today."

"Mi dispiace," Sofia says, quickly hugging her as well.

"Fratello," Dad enters the room with a smile.

Fratello means brother and for the longest time I truly believed that the two were related. They're not but I think that's what makes their friendship, their brotherhood, even more special.

Gio and Dad do that weird guy hug before he hugs Rosa as well. The three start talking in rapid Italian and I decide to head to the kitchen. Mom and Alice have been cooking all day to prepare for dinner. Every burner on both stoves are on in addition to both of the ovens.