Chapter 19 - Ryan's POV

TW: violence

Right about now the girls are probably getting ready. Doing their hair and makeup and gossiping. But I'm here instead; in the great hall waiting for some assholes. I've situated myself right beside the doors so when they open, I won't be seen.

Duke's here too, on the other side of the grand entrance. He's been tapping at his phone for the last fifteen minutes but otherwise has remained mostly silent. He's all dressed up for the night, wearing a suit and tie. I told him to at least take off the jacket but he insisted on keeping the whole thing on.

I don't think he's ever fought someone like this before. He has no idea how far blood can spray. Or how desperate a man bleeding out can be.

However, I learn from past experiences. So I've taken off my jacket and tie and rolled up the sleeves of my button down. I intentionally wore all black tonight just in case.

"Why are you doing this?" Duke asks.

"What?" I reply confusedly.

"You know," he gestures around vaguely. "Why do you always do this kind of stuff for her?"

"She's my best friend," I state simply. There's more to it, because there always is when it comes to the DiSilva's, but I can't tell him. I can't tell him that, as part of my training, I've been explicitly instructed to protect Elle. Orders that come from the very top, from Luca himself.

"You don't have to bullshit with me," Duke deadpans. "I know there's more to it than that."

"Why did you agree to do this?" I scoff.

He looks a bit taken aback by that, "what do you mean?"

"What do you think you're going to achieve by doing this?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"One day she's going to fall in love with me," he says, matter of fact. "Just you watch."

"Sure," I roll my eyes. Stupid bastard just won't give up.

"Don't be jealous," Duke smirks. "There's nothing you can really do. It's not your fault your family is poor."

"My family isn't poor," I'm quick to defend my sister. "Nor is it any of your fucking business."

"I still can't wrap my head around why the hell she hangs out with you," he tosses his hands up.

I quirk a brow, "she likes it when I bend her over."

His face drops and a deep red creeps up his cheeks. I smirk to myself in self satisfaction. Sometimes you just need to fuck with the guy to make him shut up.

"What's the deal with her brother, by the way?" Duke asks almost passively.

"He's an overconfident idiot," I inform him, glancing at my watch. They should be here any second now.

"But what's the deal with him and Elle?" he pushes. "Seems like some bad blood."

"Sibling rivalry," I shrug. "Their family is pretty competitive."

He nods, frowning, but leaves it at that. Footsteps approach the doors and I hold up my hand to keep him quiet. The duo talk quietly as they get closer and closer until the doors swing open.

"What the hell?" Wyatt says, striding further into the empty ballroom.

"Where the hell is everyone?" Rob adds, looking around.

I slowly emerge from the shadows as Duke locks the door. The sound of the heavy iron clicking into place makes the two assholes turn around. Both of their eyes widen as they look between myself and Duke.