Chapter 63

I had been worried about bringing all of my friends to the castle. Even though I got my father's blessing, there's always a risk in being around our family. I was concerned that somewhere along the line, somehow, the truth would emerge. That a soldier would fall into the trap of Hannah fluttering her lashes. Or that any of them would overhear certain conversations.

But it's been going perfectly.

"I think I get it now," Akio muses, lounging on a pool float.

"Get what?" I ask before taking a sip of my drink. It's some fruity sugary monstrosity that's filled with liquor. Go Aunt Rosa.

"Why you never gave a shit about Montrose boys," he gestures vaguely to the looming soldiers.

"If it was me," Hannah says, rubbing tanning oil into her skin. "I'd never leave."

"Fuck these security guards," Noah swims towards his boyfriend. "Where's your dad?"

"Shut up," I groan, tilting my head back.

Duke laughs and comes to sit beside me on the edge of the pool. Our feet dangle in the water and he drapes his arm over my shoulders.

"C'mon now, love," he chides. "It's just good genetics."

I glare at him before shoving him in the water. Noah and Akio laugh as Duke comes to the surface. He narrows his eyes on me before shaking out his hair.

He swims over to stand between my legs. I can't help but smile at him. Every day we've spent together has proved that being with him is no mistake. That he wasn't a rebound. That his persistence did not simply break me. He truly just makes me happy.

"Elle!" Ryan calls out, walking through the gate from the yard. Lina is at his side, hair messy and cheeks flushed.

"Fuck off," Enzo elbows his way past him. "I found out first, I get to tell her."

"Dimmi cosa?" I hesitantly ask.
(Tell me what?)

Enzo opens his mouth to speak but Ryan quickly puts him in a headlock. Enzo grunts and tries to fight back. The two wrestle on the ground until Ryan puts my brother in a firm arm hold. Ryan turns to Lina with a smug grin and winks.

"Well?" Noah pushes. "What's the big secret?"

Ryan's smile only grows, "Charlie's pregnant again."

My eyes go wide and a smile stretches across my face. I quickly clamor to my feet and rush over to my best friend. Ryan shoves Enzo into the pool, the large wave spraying us both. I hug him tightly and he returns the gesture.

When Charlie lost the baby the first time, when my father royally fucked up, it wasn't clear whether or not she'd ever have another baby. Outside of the emotional turmoil that she went through, she was shot right in the stomach. Her actual anatomy was up for debate.

But I guess God decided to grant her some joy. Give her the very thing she's wanted for years. She deserves this, she always has. So does Rocco.

"Dude that's awesome!" I exclaim. "How'd you find out?"

"Well..." Ryan scratches the back of his neck, glancing at a still crimson Lina.

"Rocco caught them fucking," Enzo declares as he climbs out of the water. He squeezes out his shirt as he gets closer.

"Seriously?" I gawk.

"Yep," Enzo says. "Told him that he can't knock a girl up until Charlie's had her baby."

"Are you serious?" Hannah gasps.

"No way," Akio swims closer.

"Where were you guys?" I ask.