Chapter 26

Warning: smut

As the song comes to an end, someone clears their throat beside us. This boy, no, this man holds his right hand out with the other cordially behind his back.

"May I?" the dark haired man asks. There's something different about him, truly. He's forceful yet poised; the kind of man that commands a room.

Ryan looks at me for permission and I nod. He looks the other man up and down before releasing me and leaving the dance floor. The man steps right into place, one hand on my waist and the other holding my own. 

His hands are calloused but he's beyond gentle. Another waltz begins and he follows along perfectly. He's the first guy all night to not step on me or miss a step.

"Congratulations on your debut," he says quietly.

"Thank you," I reply politely.

"And this dress," he shakes his head. "Seems like you're a bit of a rule breaker."

"No one explicitly said I had to wear white," I retort, just as quietly. "Can't break a rule if there isn't one to begin with."

"I suppose that's true," he smirks.

I carefully scan him from head to toe. He wears a tux like every other man here but the details are glaringly different. His watch, while not big and gaudy, is very expensive, even in my book. Diamond cuff links that catch the shimmering lights of the room. And tattoos briefly making their appearance past the sleeves of his shirt.

"Where are you from?" I curiously ask. He doesn't have the same accent as the other Swiss boys I've spoken to tonight.

"I grew up all over," he says flippantly. "But I suppose you could say that I'm from America."

"Where about?" I ask as he spins me out.

"Is it important?" he counters, pulling me back in.

"I guess not," my hand lands on his shoulder again.

"Isabelle, right?" he asks before dipping me across his arm.

"You can call me Elle," he hauls me upright. "And you are?"

"Rome," his voice is deep and laced with honey. If Ryan can get Lina out of his system tonight, then I get to do the same damned thing. The song changes but we don't separate.

"What brings you here tonight?" I ask.

"Family obligation," he replies quickly. "And you?"

"The same," I say simply.

"I figured as much," he spins me out before pulling me back in just as smoothly. "You don't seem like the kind of girl that enjoys events like this."

"What do you mean by that?" I question.

"You're extraordinary," he breathes out. "I assume that your interests follow suit."

"I'm a dancer," I tell him. "Ballet."

"I could tell," he grins.

He pulls me in closer and I gasp at the movement. This is less formal than it's supposed to be. Instead of being an arm's length apart, I can feel his breath against the top of my hair.

"I believe you're beginning to break some rules, Rome," I laugh lightly. "Are you a troublemaker?"

"Trouble, fun," he says quietly, "it's all the same isn't it?"

"I suppose it is," I speak at the same volume.

"Elle," he starts. I hum in response and he smirks. He pulls me flush to his chest and drops his lips to my ear. "Do you want to break some rules?"