Chapter 22

I've been doing my best to avoid both Duke and Will. I'm not sure what Will's deal is but this newly forming sense of jealousy he's been displaying is not something I'm interested in. I'm not going to lie, I was really hoping he was different. I was even considering giving him a chance, something I don't offer to most men. But his reactions to the way I deal with Duke showed a different side of him.

And Duke. I can't stand seeing Hannah cry, even if it's just drunk tears. So I've decided to back off, at least for now. I'm sure that if I ever need him again, he'll come running. I'm going to confront him today but that's it.

Classes move painfully slow today. There's a million things on my plate right now that seem to make time stretch on forever. The fall recital is this weekend and I have a bunch to do in preparation.

My costume needs to be altered, I have to break in my new pointe shoes, and I have a six hour long rehearsal tomorrow.

Not to mention the fact that I have a calculus test on Monday and a ten page essay due Monday as well. Plus, I need to talk to my brother before the recital. We haven't spoken since I fainted and we need to get our stories straight for our parents.

And, of course, I need to talk to Duke.

There was another note today, this time in my locker. They get weirder and weirder each time.

Lovely Elle,

Why haven't you worn the bracelet? I thought you would like it. Was it too much? Was it not enough? Please wear it, show everyone how much I love you.

I'm starting to get tired of this competition though. You know who I'm talking about. It's time for you to cut ties before I have to intervene. I don't want to hurt him but I will if I need to. I just want to be the one who makes you smile.

Smile for me, please.

The bell rings and I let out a sigh of relief. The school day is officially over. I pack my things quickly and bolt for the door. It's one of the few classes that I don't share with Duke. But I know that he should be getting out of advanced biology right now.

I hustle through the halls and into the frigid air outside. Winter has officially hit Montrose, despite the fact that it's not even Halloween yet. I keep my quick pace down the walkway, coming to a stop in front of the science building.

I rub my hands together as I wait. I'm sure Noah's going to ask a million questions at dinner; I did ditch him after all. Duke saunters out of the building, laughing with some of the other soccer players. One of them nudges Duke's shoulder and he turns his gaze to me.

"Hey there, princess," he grins as he strides over. I keep my face blank as he gets closer. Usually I'll engage in silly banter and flirting but enough is enough.

"Don't you ever get tired of being rejected?" I ask genuinely, shaking my head.

"I'll take whatever you're willing to give, princess," he snickers. "Even if it's only nasty words."

I roll my eyes and begin to walk towards the dorms. I know he'll trail behind me like a lost puppy, I don't even have to look at him. But it is far too cold to have this talk outside.

"What'll it take for you to just leave me alone?" I huff, turning to face him. I keep my books held tightly against my chest in an effort to hold back my anger.

"You can't bribe me," Duke smirks. "But I'm a gentleman enough to respect when a girl belongs to another man."

"One, you're not a man," I declare. "And two, I'm no one's fucking property."