Chapter 38

Warning: violence, gore, torture

Rome brings the car to a stop outside a warehouse in Brighton Beach. There's a few men posted outside wearing all black with their hands on their hips. Rome rounds the car to open my door and I join him on the sidewalk.

The men nod in respect as we pass. One holds open the heavy metal door and we stride inside. It's hectic with men moving all around. There's overlapping chatter and movement throughout the building.

Rome's hand finds my back and he urges me forward. He navigates the warehouse bypassing rooms full of drugs and money. Men stop to watch as we walk past but I choose to ignore them. He finally comes to a stop and smiles down at me.

"Are you ready for your first lesson?" he asks.

"Yes," I reply simply.

His smile only grows and he swings open another metal door. This one opens to a room that was clearly designed for torture. Thick concrete walls and floor. Bright luminescent lights overhead. A long table full of supplies. Complete with a man tied to a chair in the middle of the room.

His head lifts when I enter, confusion washing over his face immediately. There's two other men in here, soldiers, who give the same look of confusion.

"Boss," one of the men speaks up. He's watching me carefully, eyes never leaving me for a second, as I lazily walk around the room.

"Is that-" the other gets cut off quickly.

"She's a fucking DiSilva," the tied man rasps.

Both of Rome's men turn to look at me. I simply lift my brows; urging them to challenge me right now. If they have a problem let them voice it. If Rome doesn't shut down their hesitation, I will. I go over to the table of tools and begin to examine some of the knives.

"Boss-" the first one tries again.

"Silence," Rome raises his hand. I can't help the amused smile spreading across my face. Watching him shift from the playful banter I enjoy to being their dangerous leader. It's interesting.

"You will show her respect," Rome approaches me with slow and deliberate steps. I don't move to look at him, I just listen to his footsteps getting closer and closer until he wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me to his side.

"Spread the word," he tells his men. "Isabelle DiSilva is my woman."

Their faces drop. They look absolutely horrified by this news. But that just proves to make the whole situation more amusing. I really do wonder what my reputation is in the underworld. If their reaction is due to rumors about me, knowledge of my family, or some kind of combination.

"Go."

One word, one demand, and the soldiers are gone. It's just me, Rome and the man who is fated to be tortured.

"Pick a weapon," Rome commands.

I do as he says and select a knife. He nods slowly when I show it to him before grabbing one of his own. He gestures to the restrained man and I follow him.

"This is Aaron," he begins to explain. "He betrayed us. He was caught fraternizing with a cop. Why do you think I have him here?"

I tilt my head at the man, "you need to know what he told the cop before you kill him."

"Clever girl," Rome grins. I roll my eyes.

"Let's begin," he drags the tip of the knife up Aaron's neck, using the point to tilt his head back. "Don't be too difficult, hm? I'm trying to teach her."