Chapter 35

Warning: violence

Fuck my dad. I didn't really have my sights set on running the family. I made that clear from the get go. But it was practical, pragmatic even, to consider me in place of my brother. Especially considering he didn't even pass.

And I'm not asking him to hand the family to me on a silver platter right this damn minute. I'm asking him to train me. To teach me what it really means to rule. Because sooner or later he'll have to step down and someone needs to fill that void.

But now I'm angry. I'm going to show him, show them all, that I have what it takes to run the family. And that starts with this field trip.

Nacho pulls the car to a stop in front of the skyscraper that Headmaster had shown us. I can see her inside the glass paned lobby, smiling and greeting students as they arrive. Most of the selected few are already here, wearing business attire and gossiping.

Nacho holds open my door and I utter a thank you. He takes a step towards the building but I grab his forearm.

"Stay in the car," I instruct.

His brows furrow, "no."

"Nacho," I say in a warning tone. "I'm going to be fine. Enjoy the gift of free time I'm giving you, I know you don't get that often."

"Your dad will kill me if something happens," he pulls from my grip.

"Nacho, I'm serious," I reiterate. "It's a school sanctioned interview, nothing is going to happen."

"I swear to god," he mutters as he rounds the car. He shoots me a pointed look once he's in the driver's seat again. I smile brightly at him before striding inside.

"Miss Ricci," Headmaster smiles when she sees me. Her shoulders droop slightly, like she's relieved that I finally showed up.

"I'm not late, am I?" I ask, glancing at my new Chanel watch. I know I'm not late, I never am, but it doesn't hurt to play the part.

"No, of course not," she says. "Why don't you catch up with your classmates?"

I give her another polite smile and turn away. I spot Duke right away. He's wearing a navy blue suit and a crisp white button down. He has one of his hands behind his head as he chats with some younger female students.

I look over the grouping of students, trying to find Noah, but he must not be here yet. I watch as a few of the boys begin to make their way over. I really don't feel like entertaining the incessant and clumsy flirting of Montrose boys so I make a beeline for Duke.

"Princess," he smiles as soon as I'm close enough.

"Hey, Duke," I match his grin before glancing at the girls he was speaking to. "Hi, ladies."

"Hi, Elle," a hushed but unified chorus comes from the three sophomores. I lift my brows and they scurry away.

"Don't tell me you're jealous," Duke says.

"As if," I roll my eyes. "Those poor girls needed a break."

"Hey," he says, slightly offended, "you're the only one who doesn't fall for my charms. Those girls were loving it."

"I'm sure they were," I chide.

"I like the look, by the way," he juts his chin at me.

The brand new black and white houndstooth skirt set I bought yesterday fits perfectly. And it's the exact balance of business and pleasure that ensures a woman's place in this world. Professional enough to be taken seriously and feminine enough to throw a powerful man off balance.