Chapter 37

"Catarina, I swear to God!" I exclaim, digging through my shoe closet. "Where are my fucking Manolos?"

"Calm down," Sofia's voice comes from the doorway. I narrow my eyes at her over my shoulder. She has the strappy heels dangling from her fingers.

I cross the room and snatch them from her. I've decided to return to Bies and have the scheduled interview. It would look bad if I just didn't show; this is a school event after all. But I'm curious. I want to know what exactly Rome is hiding up his sleeve. And how I can use it to my benefit.

"You're so lucky," Sofia groans, leaning against the doorframe.

"Yeah?" I laugh, clasping the strap.

"You get to have a life," she tosses her hands up. "You get to have friends and go out and do stuff. I'm just stuck here."

"You act like you're some prisoner," I roll my eyes.

My parents knew exactly what they were doing when they built this house. There are endless things to do right at home; theater, game room, gym, bowling, mini-golf, pool. But the spoiled princess wants even more. She follows me into the bathroom where I begin applying my makeup.

"Dad has us on lock down," she retorts. "No after school activities, no school events, no hanging out with friends, no shopping."

I lock eyes with her in the mirror, "why?"

"Cause he's an asshole," she shrugs.

"He's keeping you safe," I correct her.

She must not know about the attacks. That some anonymous group has put a target on our backs.

Honestly, I don't think anyone has ever explained to her just how much danger we're in at all times. Our parents have always tried to shelter us from that stuff but I think they actually succeeded with Sofia.

"Everyone keeps saying that," she huffs. "And what about you? Why isn't he keeping you safe the way he is with us?"

"Because I'm an adult," I double check myself for any flaws. "And I can handle things myself."

"I wish he'd just send me to Montrose," she whines. I flinch at her voice, I hate when she gets like this. "Then I could do whatever I want."

I take a deep breath before facing my youngest sister, "being at Montrose isn't a vacation, Sof. You have to lie every second of every day. None of your friends can ever know the truth. The classes are hard, harder than anything you've ever done. You cannot do whatever you want."

"Enzo does," she scoffs.

I approach her in slow, calculated steps. I reach out and straighten out her hair. It's something I've always done to the littles. I really only do it when I'm angry with them, passive aggressively reminding them that I am older and I am better. That I can spot their flaws and I can bring those flaws to their attention.

It's one of the few ways I can keep my sisters in line. Sofia's eyes widen as I turn the chain of her necklace.

"Enzo almost ruined everything," I inform her. "Be grateful that you're sheltered and protected. At Montrose, I'm on my own."

She frowns, "but you still get to go out and live your life."

"You're right," I pick a piece of fuzz off her shirt. "I do. Which is why I'm leaving."

I turn on my heel and leave her in the bathroom. She huffs and stomps out as I grab my bag. Nacho is already waiting in the foyer when I get there. He has his sunglasses on, despite being indoors, and two coffees in his hands. I grab the iced latte from him and take a sip.