Chapter 21

"Make way! Make way!" Noah shouts, shoving our classmates aside. "The queen is coming through."

"Shut up," I smack his shoulder even as I laugh.

"All hail the queen!" Akio chimes in, staggering into his boyfriend. The free and endlessly flowing booze from the dance hit him the hardest. He just doesn't seem to know his limits.

"Woah, there," Noah catches him before he can fall.

I laugh as we venture into the night. Most of the younger students left a while ago leaving the great hall filled with drunk upperclassmen. Hannah links her arm with mine, singing poorly to the last song played.

I watch Ryan and Lina out of the corner of my eye. He got much drunker than he usually does, quite an unexpected turn of events, but has stayed at Lina's side the whole night. Maybe he just needed liquid courage.

The red faced girl keeps her gaze cast down but a satisfied smirk rests on Ryan's face as he drapes his arm around her shoulders. Oh yeah, we're talking about this later.

I tear off the cheap plastic crown as we enter Buhler. Excited chatter fills the halls and it's one of the few nights a year that I don't have to shut it down. It's to be expected for the students to stay up late after such an event.

"I need to get you some water," Noah mumbles to Akio, leading him towards the bathroom. He glances at the rest of the group over his shoulder, "see you in the morning."

"C'mon," I urge Hannah towards our room. I really can't tell how drunk she is right now. Whether her giggling, stumbling form is an act to get attention or the genuine result of how much she's had to drink. There's only one way to find out.

I lock our dorm room door once we're both inside. Hannah drops to the floor, arms spread out wide, and stares up at the ceiling. Alright, this is real.

"What pajamas?" I ask, moving for her wardrobe. She mumbles something incomprehensible so I grab her go-to matching set.

I toss the soft clothes at her, still on the floor, "get changed."

I kick off my heels and grab a pair of pajamas for myself. I discard my dress on the floor with the flimsy plastic crown and itchy sash. My brows furrow when I look at my bed. I grab the white envelope and tear it open.

"Is it from Duke?" Hannah asks, halfway dressed.

"Probably," I sigh. Another charm falls out of the envelope; a red rose.

Lovely Elle,

I'm sorry I didn't come to visit you in the infirmary. I heard you were feeling faint. I knew your friends would be there and I didn't want to get in the way. I hope you're feeling better.

I can't wait to see you at the dance tonight. I just know you will take my breath away. You always do. What color dress are you wearing? I wish I knew beforehand so I could match my tie but that's alright. I hope you like this newest charm. Wear the bracelet, I know it's special but it's meant to be worn.

I'll be waiting for you at the edge of the dance floor. I look forward to seeing your smile up close and personal again. It's been too long since you've smiled for me.

I'll see you soon, beautiful.

I frown at the scribbled handwriting. This shit is starting to get creepy. Fucking Duke and his fucking obsession with me. I think it's about time to shut him down for good.

"Why doesn't he like me?" Hannah asks in a small voice. My gaze snaps to my roommate.

She's still on the floor but has pulled herself into a sitting position. Her dress lays on the ground beside mine and she pulls her knees to her chest.