Chapter 58

It's been decided that it's time to go back to Montrose. I have less than two months until I graduate and I can't do that from across an ocean. But Dad beefed up security, like a lot. He's even assigning soldiers to the perimeter of campus.

We broke into different cars once we landed. Ryan with Rocco, Enzo with Gio, and me with my dad.

The talk I had with him the other night really did help. My reaction to being fucking kidnapped is completely reasonable. It makes sense that it scared the shit out of me. It makes sense that it made me question my strength. But it's time to do what I do best; put on a performance.

Once we arrive I'll slap on my million dollar smile. I'll keep all of my anxieties tucked away until I'm alone. I'll be the version of myself that everyone needs me to be. There's just one more thing I need to tell my dad though.

I should have told him during our little heart to heart. Or at breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. Or when we went shopping or were on the flight. But here we are.

"Dad?"

"Yes, tesoro?" Dad looks at me through the rear view mirror.

"I need to tell you something," I say, fiddling with my bracelet.

"What is it?" he asks simply.

I chew on the inside of my cheek for a moment, "you're not allowed to get mad."

His gaze snaps to the mirror again, "what did you do?"

"Promise," I insist.

"Lo prometto," he waves his hand dismissively.
(I promise)

"I have a boyfriend," I spit the words right out.

The car comes to a screeching halt as Dad jerks the wheel, pulling us onto the shoulder of the road. My gaze drops to my hands and I pick at my immaculately painted nails. He may be able to get over the whole Russian debacle but he might kill me for this one.

"How long?" Dad grits out.

"A few weeks," I tell him honestly. "It wasn't like I meant for-"

"What's his name?" he cuts me off.

I shift in my seat, "Duke. Duke Jones."

"The British kid?" Dad questions.

"Yeah," I confirm. "He was at the meeting right after break."

"You killed his dad," he states.

I finally look at him, "yeah, I did."

"You must really like him then," he turns fully in his seat to face me. "For you to make that kind of call."

I nod, "I really do."

"You know I'm going to have to run a background check on him," Dad says.

"Lo so," I reply.
(I know)

"And I need to meet him," he adds.

My eyes widen, "why?"

"Why the fuck wouldn't I?" Dad scoffs. "As strong and independent as you are, you are still my baby girl. I need to meet him."

"Okay," I hesitantly agree. "But you can't hurt him."

Dad quirks a brow, "you know I can't make that kind of promise, Elle."

"Dad," I groan. "I know my judgement hasn't been too great lately but he's a good guy, I swear."

"I'll be the judge of that," he says firmly. With that he merges back onto the road towards campus.