𝚟

❀ ❀ ❀

IN THE MORNING Mindy gathered the gang to discuss the rules. Anastasia sipped her starbucks. Ethan casually taking sips from her drink every now and then. Lila gagged from next to them.

"Hater." Anastasia laughed.

"Okay, nerds. Listen up, as terrifying as this all is, I'm actually glad I get a chance to redeem myself for not calling the killers last time. It's fine." Mindy told the group.

Anastasia rested her hand on Ethan's knee. Ethan kissed her cheek, placing his hand on top of hers.

"Okay, the way I see it, someone is out to make a sequel to the requel." Mindy told the group.

"Um, what's a requel?" Anika asked, innocently raising her hand.

"You're beautiful, sweetie. Let's hold questions till the end." Mindy told her.

Anika tilted her head, smiling.

"Stab 1 took place in Woodsboro, Stab 2 took place in college." Sam noted, tilting her head a bit.

"So, we think that the killer's trying to copy the movies?" Tara questioned look at her sister then Mindy.

"That is one possibility, heroes now in college. Check. Suspicious new characters brought in to round out the suspect list and or body count. Check, check, and check." Mindy said, counting down from Quinn, Anika, to Ethan.

Ethan gave Mindy a confused look then looked over to Anastasia "I don't like this."

"I know, sweetie. I know." Anastasia cooed, kissing his cheek.

"It can't just be about Stab 2." Mindy said, smirking.

"Why not?" Tara questioned.

"It would make sense if this were just a sequel. But, we're not in a sequel, because nobody just makes sequels anymore. We're in a franchise! And there are certain rules to a continuing franchise." Mindy said.

"Great.." Anastasia groaned, already aggravated with her boyfriend and friends being suspects.

Lila rolled her eyes, annoyed.

"Of course." Lila grumbled.

"I had a feeling." Sam said, her head hung low.

"Rule 1: Everything is bigger than last time. Bigger budget, bigger cast, bigger body count, longer chases, shoot outs, beheadings. You gotta top what came before to keep people coming back." Mindy said.

"Beheadings?" Chad asked, looking up from his notes.

"Beheadings. Rule 2: Whatever happened last time expect the opposite. Franchises only survive by subverting expectations. If the killers last time were whiny, snowflake film nerds with letterboxd accounts instead of personalities, you can bet the opposite will be true here." Mindy said.