Chapter 12

That next morning, the news of Colin Creevy, a first year Gryffindor, was petrified. Daphne, Blaise, and Theo looked at Madeline nervously at breakfast that morning.

"What's wrong with you three?" Madeline asked,

"Creevy was petrified," Blaise said,

"Yes, I've heard," Madeline said, looking down at the letter her parents had sent her that morning.

"What if you get petrified?" Daphne said,

"I'd be so glad." Draco whispered, making Ayer shake her head at him. In truth that thought had also crossed her mind, imagining herself strung up like Mrs. Norris, but she was trying not to think about that.

"I'm sure everything will be fine." Madeline responded. Draco looked at his three friends faces, seeing actual concern for the mudblood, which he didn't understand why.

---

"I'd like to warn everyone, especially if you're a muggleborn to be very cautious until we figure out how to solve this problem. I'd say stick to a pureblood friend if you have one, but otherwise class is dismissed." Professor McGonagall warned her second-year class before the bell ran and everyone started packing their stuff up. 

"Ayer," Draco said, she looked up at him from her seat as she zipped her bag up.

"What?" She asked, standing up.

"I'd like to speak to you." Malfoy said,

"Why? Are you going to lure me to the chamber of secrets?" Madeline asked making Daphne, Blaise, and Thoe laugh.

"No." Malfoy scoffed, as they started walking out of the classroom. Malfoy looked to his right, where his three friends stood, wanting them to leave. They got the hint, and quickly started walking ahead of the two.

"Now can you tell me what you want to talk about?" Ayer asked,

"I'd like to offer you, my protection." Draco said, Ayer's eyebrows scrunched together, looking at him in quizzical.

"What do you mean protection Malfoy?" He asked,

"I mean what I said, protection from the monster that's attacking the mudbloods." 

"Funny how you use mud blood and protection in the same sentence." Ayer commented, as they turned the corner.

"I'm serious. If you want me to protect you, I'd be willingly too." Draco said,

"And what would this protection include?" Ayer asked, tilting her head at him.

"Oh, I don't know, spending all our time together, like lunch breakfast and dinner, making sure no monster is coming." Draco explained, Ayer's mouth rose into a smirk.

"That sounds dreadful."

"Oh, come on, who would be better to help you other than me?" He asked her,

"I mean there's Blaise, Theo, and Daphne that could help."

"Listen do you want my help or not? They can help you but they don't have Crabbe or Goyle and you know how scary and strong they are." Draco said, Ayer pursed her lips, thinking.

"I guess you're right." Draco grinned,

"Perfect, where are we going now?" He asked, looking around.

"We're starting now?"

"The monster could attack any moment!"

"How wonderful.

---

The next couple days, Madeline and Draco spent every moment together, mainly on Malfoy's insisting that they do. At first it drove Madeline nuts; he would make a rude comment about her or try to annoy her to the point she was really to strangle him but she realized she didn't mind his presence when he wasn't being so rude.