Chapter 39

There was an interesting shift between Madeline and Draco after he had called her pretty. She tried not to think about how her heart skipped a beat when he said that, or how he wasn't able to look her in the eye after, or the way her name sounded coming from his mouth.

"I can't believe you convinced me to climb up here." Madeline said, Malfoy smirked, shrugging.

"It's nice up here." 

"I never said it wasn't. I just don't like that I have no seat belt or, something to brace my fall." Madeline said, looking down at the ground, she gulped nervously.

"Why would you fall."

"I don't know, you could just be luring me up here."

"Ah, but there's to many witnesses here." He said, before deciding to annoy her more and scan the grounds, but he spotted Potter talking to Cedric Diggory. Draco nudge Madeline's arm, nodding his head at him.

"Look over there," Madeline spotted Harry, shaking her head.

"Just ignore him." Draco gasped.

"Do you even know how I function; I can't not bother him." Draco pushed himself off the tree and landed on his feet. 

"Malfoy!" Madeline said, terrified that she was suddenly alone, up a tree, with the ground looking so far away all of a sudden.

"Don't worry, I'll catch you," Malfoy said, he raised his arms and wiggled his fingers at her.

"I don't know."

"So your going to stay up there?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Fine," She signed, Malfoy lifted his hands up again. She bit her lip, pushing herself off the trunk, she felt herself fall, before she felt Malfoy's hands on her waist.

"See? You were fine." He said, but Madeline noticed he didn't remove his hands just yet, and she didn't want him too.

"Yeah, thank you." She grinned, before he looked over his shoulder, seeing Potter walking by. Draco let Madeline go, turning his attention to Potter.

"Why so tense, Potter?" He asked, tilting his head as Harry walked by.

"My father and I have a bet, Potter. You see, he thinks you won't last ten minutes in the Tournament, but I disagree." He looked over at Madeline, smirking.

"I say, he won't last five." Harry stormed over to Draco.

"You know what I say, Malfoy? I say you can both eat dung." Malfoy's face fell, his face turning red.

"What do you say to that?" Harry asked,

"Go away Harry," Madeline signed, she was still annoyed at him for the newspaper, she frankly didn't care what Malfoy said to Harry at this point.

"Right," He said, turning around, and starting to walk away. Malfoy grabbed his wand, pointing it at Harry's back.

"OH NO YOU DON'T, LADDIE!" Someone shouted, before a bright light hit Malfoy right in the chest, and suddenly Malfoy disappeared.

"Malfoy?" Madeline said, looking around but she couldn't see him anywhere, suddenly she felt something by her leg. She froze looking down and seeing a white ferret.

"Malfoy!" She shouted, scooping him up into her arms, she looked at the mad man that had done this to him, she heard laughter that made her even angrier as she stared at the defense against the dark arts Professor. 

"I'll teach you to curse someone when their backs turn!" Mad-eye shouted, as Malfoy climbed onto Madeline's shoulder.

"What have you done!" She yelled,

"Teaching him a lesson!"

"He's a student, you mad man!"

"Doesn't matter," Mad-eye shrugged, as more students started surrounding them. Professor McGonagall pushed her way through the crowds, before her eyes landed on the ferret.

"Ms. Ayer, is that a student?" She asked,

"Yes, this mad man that you hired turned Malfoy into a ferret!" She shouted, pointing at Mad-eye. 

"Professor Moody! We never use transfiguration as punishment, surely Dumbledore told you!" She shouted; Mad-eye shrugged.

"Might've mentioned it." Professor McGonagall signed, before taking her wand out, Madeline put Malfoy on the ground, and McGonagall swished her wand through the air, and Draco was turned back into himself.

"My father will hear about this!" He shouted, getting to his feet. Mad-eye stepped closer to him,

"What did you say? Is that a threat!" He asked, Malfoy stepped back before starting to sprint away from Mad eye who shouted after him.

"Malfoy! Malfoy!" She shouted, before she started running after him.

---

She knew Malfoy was a fast runner, so she wasn't surprised when she found Malfoy in his dorm room. She sat on his bed her back against the headboard, as he sat in front of her.

"It wasn't that bad."

"I was turned into a ferret."

"You were a very cute ferret."

"Of course, I was, but all ferrets are cute." He shrugged, before the door burst open, and Daphne, Blaise, and Theo were walked in.

"I just heard what happened." Blaise said, sitting on his own bed.

"So it's starting to spread! I've going to get that Mad-eye murdered!" Malfoy shouted, his face turning red in anger.

"It's fine, people will forget about it by the first trial." Madeline said, 

"I don't care if people talk, I care that he did it in the first place!" 

"Guys, how about we play a game, take your mind off of it." Theo suggested,

"That's a great idea Theo!" Daphne said, she stood up and walked over to Theo's dresser, and pulled out a deck of cards.

"I don't feel like playing." Draco signed,

"Come on, it'll be fun!" Madeline said, he groaned before nodding.

"Okay." They all sat in a circle in the ground, as Daphne handed everyone several cards. The group played the game for a couple of hours, taking Draco's mind off the embarrassing afternoon.