Chapter 42

"The Yule Ball," Professor Snape said, looking at the class like he would rather be doing anything else at the moment.

"Is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament andan opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will beopen only to fourth years and above - although you may invite a younger student ifyou wish. Dress robes will be worn, the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas day, finishing at midnight in the great hall. Now then, Ms. Ayer stand up." Madeline looked around confused. They sat in any empty classroom with two long benches pushed against the walls. Boys sat on one side, and girls sat on the other.

"Excuse me?" Madeline said,

"Stand up." Professor Snape said, Madeline stood up, feeling very confused. 

"Good, now Mr. Malfoy stand up." Draco stood up, making the same face Madeline was, and could have sworn that Snape had a smirk on his face.

"Now, I'm going to play the music, and you two will show the class how to waltz." 

"What?"

"I can't do that," Madeline and Draco said at the same time, taking a step back.

"You two will, because your heads of house is telling you too." Snape said, Madeline and Draco didn't move.

"Mr. Malfoy, Ms. Ayer, dance now. This is my last warning." Snape said, they both shot him deathly glares before they met in the middle of the room. Madeline was, in all honesty, very nervous to dance with Draco, she felt like her hands were sweaty, and her heart was beating faster, and the fact that she had to do it in front of all the Slytherins.

"Now, Mr. Malfoy you're going to put your hands on Ms. Ayer's waist." Madeline was sure her face was bright red, as Draco put his hand on her waist.

"Ms. Ayer, put your hand on his shoulder." She lifted her arm and put a hand on Draco's shoulder.

"Now intertwine your hands," Madeline gulped as they lifted there hands, and intertwined there fingers.

"Mr. Filch, if you will." The music started playing, Madeline and Draco swayed, avoiding eye contact. 

"Eye contact is very important for a dance, when you look at your feet, you'll do worse." Snape said, smirking as he watched his two uncomfortable students. He was definitely enjoying this little torment. The two forced there eyes away from there feet and into each others.

"You hate this." Draco whispered,

"Oh, every second of it." Madeline whispered back; Draco smirked.

"Where did you learn how to dance?" Madeline asked Malfoy.

"My mother." Madeline bit her bottom lip, trying not to laugh. They danced for another minute, before the music ended, Madeline and Draco awkwardly let each other go.

"Now, everyone stand up, and partner up. We'll start the music." Snape said, everyone stood up, the boys hesitated, while the girls took full charge and forced them to be partners.

"Draco! I want to be your partner, come on." Pansy said, she grabbed Draco's arm trying to pry him away from Madeline.

"No, I've got a partner Parkinson," Draco said, pulling his arm away.

"But it's not fair! She just had you as a partner." 

"Ms. Parkinson go find a different partner, Mr. Malfoy is taken." Snape said as he walked by, Parkinson looked at Draco begging him to say something else, but Draco shrugged turning to Madeline.

"May I have this dance?" He asked, she nodded, as they heard Pansy storm away. He put his hand on her waist, as she put her hand on his shoulder. The music started playing and they started there second dance.