Chapter 40

The group woke up late the day of the first task, almost skipping breakfast. They had hung out almost all night the day before, making them feel sluggish and exhausted that morning. 

"So, what is this?" Malfoy asked, as the group sat in the kitchen after Madeline had told them about a drink that could wake them up a little more.

"It's coffee, but you should try it first, a lot of people put cream and sugar in it." She said, Draco took a sip of his coffee, it had a strong bitter taste, that Draco didn't mind. 

"It's fine," 

"EW! This is absolutely disgusting." Theo said, Madeline smiled, sliding the cream and sugar to him.

"Just put some sugar and cream in it." He picked it up ripping open the little packets, he poured both cream and sugar into his coffee cup, before hesitantly taking a small sip. 

"Hm, okay not so bad." Madeline shook her head at him, as he ripped open another packet. Madeline sipped her coffee, as they thanked the house elfs before walking out the kitchen. 

"Are you sure that this will wake us up?" Daphne asked, looking at the cup skeptically.

"Just give it a couple minutes." She told them as they walked downstairs to their rooms. 

---

The stands were more packed than Madeline had ever seen them. Everyone had come out to see the first trial, Ludo Bagman walked out of the tent that the champions were staying in, he grabbed his wand put it against his throat, and started talking.

"Hello, witches and wizards, welcome to the first trial of the tri-wizard tournament! Our four champions have just been told what their task is, to grab a dragon egg. It may sound easy, but not when we have the very own dragon mothers ready to protect them. Our first champion is Cedric Diggory, now when the cannon is fired Cedric knows what to do!" There were loud cheers, especially from several of the girls in the stands, waiting for Cedric to arrive.

The canon was fired, and Cedric walked out, and in Madeline's mind, officially starting the tri-wizard tournament. 

In an hour, Cedric, Fleur, and Krum had all gotten there eggs, with only Harry left. The cannon blew, and Potter walked out. He walked a few feet into the arena, before scanning it. He took out his wand, flicking it into the air. 

"Well, I'm guessing everyone is wondering what Mr. Potter is waiting for." Ludo Bagman said, looking towards the judges. Finally, they heard something zooming through the air. 

It stopped next to him, waiting for him to mount it. Harry climbed onto his broom, he started levitating higher and higher into the air.

"Great Scott! He can fly! Are you seeing this Mr. Krum?" Ludo Bagman said, Harry flew down to the egg, but the dragon swung its tail, nearly hitting Harry, and knocking him off his broom. 

"I really hope he gets knocked off his broom." Draco whispered, into Madeline's ear, she bit her lip not to smile.

"Or at least have the dragon scratch him," She whispered back. 

"Oh! Even better!" Malfoy said, as they watched him get burned with the dragon's fire. Harry swerved left, missing the tail. Finally, Harry flew down, and grabbed the egg.

"Look at that! Will you look at that! Our youngestchampion is quickest to get his egg! Well, this is going to shorten the odds-on Mr.Potter!" Ludo Bagman said, as the dragon keepers ran onto the field trying to contain it.

"Aw man! That stupid dragon couldn't have swung his tail a little higher." Malfoy yelled, so loudly that several heads turned to look at him.