Chapter 48

"My name is Professor Grubbly-Plank, I am your temporaryCare of Magical Creatures teacher." The professor said, as they walked into Care of Magical Creatures the first week of term. 

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry asked, 

"He's indisposed," Grubby-Plank said, making Draco and some other Slytherin's start laughing.  None of the Slytherins were surprised to see Grubby-Plank, even Madeline didn't think it was that surprising.

"This way, please," she said, the students followed her past the Beauxtons carriages, and to the edge of the dark forest. There was a large, beautiful unicorn tied to a large tree. Madeline and Daphne gasped grabbing onto each other's arms in excitement.

"Oh, it's so beautiful," Madeline said,

"How did she get it?" Daphne asked, the unicorn was so white that the snow was nothing to compare, with golden hooves that stomped on the ground nervously.

"Boys stay back! They prefer a women's touch. Girls to the front, and approach with care." She advised, Draco watched Madeline as she walked up to the unicorn and started petting it. The fur was so soft, probably softer than her most expensive dress. The unicorn moved its head towards Madeline, rubbing her hand affectionately. 

"Well, I've never seen that before." Grubby-plank said, before she started telling the girls facts about the unicorn.

Daphne and Madeline felt like they had enough of petting the unicorns, they moved back to their boyfriends and Blaise, where Draco was sneering at Potter.

"What do you mean, 'we all hate Hagrid,'?" Harry shouted across the field at Draco.

"What's this rubbish about him- Harry pointed at Blaise- getting a bad bite off a flobberworm? They haven't got teeth!" Harry shouted; Blaise shrugged.

"Are you saying my trauma is a lie?" Blaise asked, Harry stared at him in disbelief.

"Yeah," Harry snapped, as Draco put an arm around Madeline's shoulders. Harry eyed the arm around her shoulder before glaring daggers at her.

"I'm surprised you're with him, you're a muggleborn, he's called you that word countless times, he got you petrified, he's horrible to you, to everyone-"

"Stop, that's not true." Madeline said,

"You don't know what you're talking about Potter, I suggest you shut your mouth." Draco warned, his hand already curled up into a fist, ready to punch Potter in the face.

"I think I do," Potter hissed, before turning away from the group, the newspaper crumpled up in his hand. 

Draco was breathing hard, his hand still curled up in a fist, his arm wasn't around Madeline anymore, his jaw clenched. His eyes were hard, filled with distain as he stared at Potter walking away. 

"Draco," Madeline said, putting a hand on his arm. He tensed before Madeline saw him ease into her touch, his shoulders sank down, he unclenched his hand, before looking at Madeline again.

"Ignore him, he's just angry about Hagrid and taking it out on us."

"He's an arse."

"He is, always has been."

---

"Have you ever read Pride and Prejudice" Madeline asked Draco as they walked up to his dorm room. Draco's eyebrows scrunched up in confusion, as he shook his head.

"No? I've never even heard of it."

"Yes you have! I told you about it last year!" 

"Did you?" Draco asked, as he pushed open his dorm room door.

"I quite sure I did." Madeline answered, as she walked into his room, Draco shut the door behind him, as Madeline dropped her bag on the ground right next to his bed and took off her shoes before getting on the bed. Her head hit the pillow, she turned her head seeing Draco taking off his robe and laying it neatly over the chair. She glanced at the books on his nightstand as he reached her. Madeline's eyes widened as she read a familiar title.

History of Muggles and Magic by R.N Filipov.

Madeline sat up, picking the book up. She noticed a bookmark in the last chapter, the spin had clearly been open numerous times. 

"You read this book?" Madeline asked, Draco looked over at her from where his wardrobe, where he was putting his shoes away, his closet was filled with Hogwarts robes, that were hung up neatly, alone with the Slytherin ties, shirts, and trousers. There were shoes all along the bottom on the wardrobe, before he shut it, and walked over to Madeline. 

"Oh yeah, I'm on the last three pages, I was going to finish it tonight." Draco said, taking the book from her hand. He opened it, to the page that was bookmarked, running his finger over the words.

"I asked you to read that book like two years ago." Madeline said, her voice filled with surprised.

"And I promised you I would, and I did."

"When did you start?" She asked.

"I started the first couple chapters in second year, but I stopped reading it, and then I picked it up this year." Draco explained, putting the book back on his nightstand.

"Did you learn anything?" Madeline asked, Draco nodded.

"I've read things that go against what I was raised to believe, so I grabbed a couple more from the library to keep reading." Draco said, pointing to the other books on the nightstand. Madeline read the covers, realizing they were more and more muggle history books.

"Why do you look so surprised?" He laughed,

"I don't know," she said, shaking her head. Draco laughed at her surprised reaction, thinking of how adorable she seemed. He laid down on the bed next to her, shutting his eyes. She laid down, bringing the blanket over them, and curling up into him. He kissed the shell of her ear, his arm going around her waist wanting her even closer, as their eyes stared getting heavier and heavier, and soon were drifting into a restful sleep.