Chapter 17

It was all my fault. All my fault. Draco thought as Daphne told him the news, her face stained with tears, her eyes red and puffy.

"Why did she go alone? That's unlike her, she's usually so careful about going out alone." Theo said, Draco looked away, staring at the fireplace.

"I don't know, I ran to Professor Snape once I noticed her bed was empty. I didn't want to risk it." Daphne answered, Theo put an arm around her, trying to be comforting.

"Where are you going?" Blaise asked Draco as he noticed Draco standing up.

"Just going for a stroll." Draco answered, before walking out of the common room. 

---

Draco found himself near the hospital wing, he didn't realize he had wandered towards it, but suddenly he heard shouting coming from the room. He paused not wanting to get caught sneaking past curfew by whoever was shouting.

"We trusted you! How could you not warn us some monster was coming and petrifying my daughter!" He heard a deep voice shouting.

"I can assure you-"

"Assure me what! My daughter is on a bed frozen, and you can't even fix it until summer!" Draco spotted Ayer's parents, the King and Queen, storming out of the hospital room, with Professor Dumbledore, Snape, and McGonagall following them out. Draco spotted three guards following them out.

"She's in no pain, she's simply sleeping." Professor McGonagall said,

"So she's going to sleep for five months! Is everyone here insane?" The King asked, but the three Professor's didn't seem to mind. 

"I want her to be brought back home." The queen whispered, 

"You can't take her, we're the only ones who can treat her." Professor Snape said,

"Fine, then we'll be unenrolling her from this crazy school." The King said.

"I would advise you against that, she's already going to be in her third year-" Draco tuned out whatever Dumbledore was saying, as his eyes landed on his big brother, who was already staring at him with a smirk on his face. Draco turned away, trying to walk back to the Slytherin common room.

"Draco," He heard his brother say. Draco froze, turning around and looking at his brother. 

"Michael." Draco nodded.

"Why are you hiding in the shadows. It's dangerous." Michael said, taking off his helmet, his hair was tied back in a bun, there was loose strands of hair falling around his face. He pushed them away, as Draco's eyes lingered on the scar across his face.

"It's fine, the monster won't attack me." Draco said, Michael shrugged.

"I can't stay long, I'll have to go back, I just wanted to see you." Michael said, he stepped closer to Draco, cupping his face, examining him.

"Michael let me go," Draco whined,

"You're okay? He hasn't hurt you at all?"

"No, I'm fine." Draco said, not meeting Michael's eyes, as he pushed Michael's hands away from his face.

"I am not a baby, do not touch my face."

"Well, you still complain like a baby." 

"I do not. I'm almost 13." 

"And I'm almost 23." 

"That's so old." Draco said, making Michael laugh.

"That's not old."

"I disagree." Draco shrugged, as Michael shook his head. He shifted the helmet from one hand to the other.

"Are-are they really going to take Ayer out of Hogwarts?" Draco whispered, Michael smirked, narrowing his eyes at Draco suspiciously.

"Why? Would that make you sad?"

"No! I was just wondering about who I would torment next year if she's not there." Draco said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Are you sure it's not because you fancy her?"

"I do not fancy Ayer, she's a Muggleborn." Draco said, 

"Whatever you say, look I've got to get going, but write to me some time, okay?" Draco nodded, as Michael put his helmet back on.

"Hey also, maybe stop putting so much gel in your hair. You know it causes you to go bald in the future?" Michael said, Draco gasped.

"What! No, it doesn't!" Michael smirked, nodding.

"Yes, it does." He said, before ruffling Draco's hair.

"Hey!"

"I'll see you, Draco." He said, before walking back to where the professor and the Ayer family.