Chapter 68

The Royal Christmas Ball had started, and Madeline was running late, so late she was sure her mother was going to kill her. It wasn't her fault though, her dress had been made in the wrong size, it was two sizes too big. Elizabeth had somehow managed to fix it.

"Elizabeth, I needed to be downstairs half an hour ago!" Madeline said, as Elizbeth fixed Madeline's last curl. Madeline grabbed the tiara, a small silver tiara, that her mother had place on her desk earlier that day to wear for the event. She pinned it into place, making sure it was perfectly centered.

Madeline looked at herself in the mirror, running her hands over the dress, smoothing out any last wrinkles. Her dress was a deep red off the shoulder gown. The top was folded in front of the breasts, covered in red glitter. The skirt was covered in the same red glitter, with a red bow. She wore long white gloves that went up past her elbows. Her hair was in a large low bun, with curls framing her face, and a large silver tiara. 

"There, you're all ready." Elziabeth said, as she opened the door, Madeline hugged Elizabeth, thanking her before she walked out. 

Five minutes later, she stood in front of the doors of the dining room. She nodded at the doormen, they opened the doors, announcing her entrance to the guests. 

She walked down the stairs to the ballroom stairs, she felt every eye on her at that moment, the cameras were flashing so brightly, she was scared she was going to miss a step and fall flat on her face. Madeline finally reached the last step, bowing to the room filled with royals whose eyes were all on her, before they were drawn back to there conversations, all expect Draco, his mouth parted, his eyes following her every movement.

"What took you so long?" Her mother asked walking up to Madeline.

"I'm sorry but it wasn't my fault, the dress you got me was two sizes to big. You sent the wrong measurements in. Elizabeth managed to fix it." Madeline said, as she grabbed a drink from a passing waiter.

"Thank goodness for Elizabeth." Her mother signed.

"Where are my friends?" Madeline asked, her mother nodded her head towards a table where her friends were sitting.

"You have to go say hello to the Scottish Royal family." Her mother said.

"You weren't here last year, so you have too." Her mother reminded her, Madeline signed but nodded.

"Fine, let's go." She said, her mother led her through the crowds of people. Her father was already with them.

"Madeline, you remember, the King Augustus and his wife Isabella, their children Prince Alexander, and Princess Ailsa of Sweden." Her father said, Madeline curtsied to the King and Queen.

"Hello your majesty's." She said, before smiling at the prince and princess. 

"Princess Madeline, it's good to see you. You weren't here last year, right?" Queen Isabella asked, Madeline nodded.

"Something came up at my school, I wasn't able to make it." She said, 

"That's unfortunate, I know we were hoping to see you, especially Prince Alexander." Madeline glanced at Alexander from the corner of her eye, seeing him glare at his father. 

"My father loves to make jokes." Prince Alexander said, his cheeks coloring.

"Oh of course, my father can be really amusing too." Madeline said, she looked over her shoulder, making eye contact with Draco, he looked between her and Alexander.

"Madeline, why don't you and Prince Alexander go dance?" Alexanderia asked, Madeline glanced at Alexnder.

"Would you like to dance Princess Madeline?" Prince Alexander asked, stretching his hand out towards her. Madeline nodded, her mother had put her on the spot, it wasn't like she could say no.

"Yes, Prince Alexander." Madeline said, she put her hand in his, and he led her towards the dance floor. She looked at Draco, his eyes were burning in the back of Alexander's head.

"I'm sorry about our parents." Alexander said, he put his hand on Madeline's hip, she put his hand on his shoulder, they intertwined their fingers, as the music started.

"It's not your fault. I should apologize for my parents too." Madeline laughed,

"You weren't here for the last Christmas party, right?"

"No, I wasn't. I had a gala at my school. I'm sure it was really boring without me." She said, Alexander threw his head back laughing.

"What do you think is so funny?" Draco asked Blaise, watching Madeline dance with Alexnader.

"I don't know. Do you think that girl is single?" Blaise asked, Draco ignored his question, his tongue running along the front of his teeth, his arms crossed over his chest, leaning against his chair.

"That's fine ignore me." Blaise said, Draco didn't answer.

"When is dinner? I'm starving," Theo asked, nibbling on a piece of bread.

"I'm not sure." Blaise answered, Draco stood up, starting to walk towards Madeline. Daphne grabbed his arm.

"Are you crazy? You can't interrupt there dance, not here." Daphne said, she pulled Draco back into his seat.

"I wasn't going to stop them." Draco muttered,

"Yes you were, I know you Draco. The dance is going to end any second and this is no place for jealous outbreaks, now be normal when she comes back." Daphne said, looking around wondering if anyone had seen. Draco scoffed rolling his eyes as he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back in his chair. 

Soon the dance ended, Madeline and Alexander bowed to each other before she walked to her table, she sat down next to Daphne.

"I love your dress," Daphne said, touching Madeline's red scarf.

"Thank you, Elizabeth had to hem it, the dress was so big." Madeline said, she looked over at Draco, adjusting her gloves.

"You look beautiful," Draco said, she smiled.

"Thank you." She said as the waiters started bringing out the food. 

"Excuse me," Elijah said, poking Theo on the shoulder.

"What do you want?" 

"You're seat." He said, 

"No! You just want to sit next to my girlfriend!" He said,

"Yeah obviously, now get up, grandpa!" Elijah said, Theo stood up, his eyes raging, his hand clutched in a fist.

"Stop both of you, you're lucky the cameras didn't see you." Madeline said, she stood up, and sat next to Draco, leaving her seat next to Daphne's empty for Elijah.

"So have your visit?" Elijah asked Daphne.

"It's nice."

"It would be nicer without you." Theo muttered, 

"Who invited you? Whose house is this?" Elijah asked, Theo rolled his eyes.

"Elijah don't be rude to my guest." Madeline said,

"Whatever," Elijah said, Madeline shook her head before turning to Draco.

"One year ago today, we went to the yule ball together." Draco said, Madeline grinned.

"Yes I remember." Draco leaned closer to her.

"I have a surprise for you after the ball." She looked at him confused.

"What is it?"

"A surprise. I can't tell you." He winked.