⭐ First Date ⭐

Stan: 19
Kyle: 18
(Based on their birthdays and what time the story is set in.)

Word count: 1477

•                                                                    •

"Don't keep all your feelings sheltered - express them. Don't ever let life shut you up."
                                 -Dr. Steve Maraboli

•                                                                    •

The stars danced and swayed with one another, brightening the look in Kyle's eyes.

Stan thought it was funny how they hadn't even made it to their destination yet Kyle already seemed so incredibly happy.

His eyes twinkled and his mouth was agape. Stan never realized how much Kyle liked the stars until this very moment, just watching him watch them.

Stan was nervous, to tell the truth. His hands were in his pockets shaking like it was an earthquake, but could you blame him? He was going on a first date with someone he loved more than himself, someone he's known his whole life. He was scared of screwing everything up, he was scared that he would make Kyle run away and never come back.

Stan decided to look up at the stars as well, but what he saw didn't put the same smile on his face like it did Kyle's. He saw sadness. The stars seemed to be frowning at him, disappointed. Not only that, but the moon was so bright it was blinding him. He couldn't help but look away, eyes stinging.

When his eyes stopped feeling like they were on fire, he was met with Kyle staring at him, a concerned expression painted all over his face in shades of green and red.

"Are you alright?" Kyle asked, hesitantly reaching a hand forward to rub a thumb against Stan's hand in a gentle and reassuring way.

"I'm fine. Let's walk a bit faster though, yeah? I'm hungry," Stan replied, putting on a fake smile to convince Kyle. It didn't seem to work.

Kyle could read the boy like a book, he could tell that something was bothering him. And though he was excited for their date, he didn't want Stan to be uncomfortable during it. He just didn't know what to say, so instead he let Stan drag him to the restaurant.

Inside the restaurant it was bright, and for the hour there were a lot of people sitting down at tables and chatting.

"How may I help you?" The lady behind the counter asked. Kyle was too busy watching all the commotion to respond, so Stan had to step in.

"A table for two, please," he said through a fake smile.

"Of course, right this way," she replied with an even more noticeable fake smile.

She walked the two boys over to a table and handed them menus.

"You two make a lovely couple," she said, this time the smile was a bit more genuine. Stan bit back telling her that they're not a couple, he didn't know if it would make Kyle uncomfortable or not if they got called that. But before he could let the words we're not a couple spill out, she walked away. And to be honest, he was grateful. Saying those words would hurt him, because here they were, on a date yet they still aren't actually together.

Stan began awkwardly fidgeting with his menu, re-reading the same dish over and over again just to avoid talking to the red headed boy across the table from him.

"It's surprisingly busy for a Thursday night," Kyle noted, staring at his menu. He was just trying to get Stan to talk. The awkward tension in the air was killing him, he just wished they could talk like how they used to, before they expressed their feelings for one another. Because even though it was nice to know your feelings are reciprocated, it doesn't mean Kyle wants their whole relationship to change. This is what he was afraid of, it getting awkward. Stan still wasn't saying anything, he just hummed in response to Kyles words.