23. Identity

11 February 2021
11:11 am

Mi-rae hesitantly held the door knob and glanced at Seo-jun, who nodded his head, ensuring her to go ahead. They were both standing outside a hospital ward for the past two minutes, where Mi-rae was debating whether she should enter or not.

After debating for a few more seconds, she sighed and twisted the knob, entering inside, followed by Seo-jun. As soon as she stepped inside, her eyes fell upon a lifeless boy lying on the hospital cot with numerous machines attached.

Her eyes filled with tears as she witnessed his condition while her legs unknowingly moved forward. She noticed the boy opened his eyes the moment he heard her sniff, when she was trying to control herself from crying. It looked like he wasn't asleep. She bit her lips to keep those tears from flowing as she scanned his features. He looked so pale and lifeless, and this was breaking her heart. After all, this is the same person she considered her brother even before he was born.

He weakly tilted his head and looked at her with curiosity in his eyes, as it was his first time seeing her. He parted his lips to ask about her identity, but when his eyes fell on the flowers in her hand, a smile appeared on his face. He blinked his eyes and smiled at her, looking like he recognised her. "Noona?"

Mi-rae's breath hitched upon hearing that word. And now her eyes have lost the strength to hold back those tears. She immediately turned around, not wanting to face him and not wanting him to see her tears. She knew he wasn't addressing her as his sister, but in that moment she realised how much she had always wanted to be a sister, a daughter, and to have a family. She wiped her tears away when she heard him calling her again.

"Y- You're that fl-flower Noona, right?" Mi-rae turned, facing him again, and forced a smile before nodding. "Are you ok? Why are your eyes moist? Are you ok, Noona?" The boy was confused. His mother's eyes often get moist seeing him in this state; even he saw his father secretly wiping his tears, but why does this Noona, who is a stranger, have tears in her eyes? He isn't even related to her. He thought either she's a very soft-hearted person who cries even for a stranger or his condition is so bad that nobody can help but feel pity.

"Is my condition that bad? Do I look so helpless that the eyes of everyone who comes are filled with tears and sympathy?" He gave them a painful smile as Mi-rae quickly shook her head. How should she explain the reason behind her tears? How can she say that there is no sympathy in her eyes? It's the pain of seeing her brother after so many years, and in this condition, it's the pain of not being able to share his miseries.

She went towards him and outstretched her hand, wanting to touch him, but quickly pulled away. The boy was quietly watching her, not understanding her behaviour at all. He doesn't understand why it feels like she has a connection with him; her eyes, which held immense love, confused him to the core. She again outstretched her hand, this time to hand him the bouquet she had prepared.

He smiled. She found him struggling to sit and grab the flower, so she took a step ahead, bringing the bouquet closer to him as she sensed that he wanted to smell them. He smiled at her and smelled those flowers as his face beamed with happiness. She knew from Seo-jun that this was his favourite one.

"Thanks, Noona, for always sending me flowers, and thanks a lot for those messages; they really help." She smiled, and this time she didn't resist running her hands through his hair.

"Well, I know you know my name, yet because we have met for the first time, let me introduce myself. I'm Dabin." The boy said it with a smile. Mi-rae smiled softly, but then her smile dropped, and she wondered whether she should tell her name or not. She wasn't sure if Dabin knew the name of the lost daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lee. She was hesitant, which didn't go unnoticed by Seo-jun, so he interrupted.