17.

—     THE ATMOSPHERE WAS VERY THICK TO SAY THE LEAST.    kylian mbappé was seated on aria cerrain's couch and neither person wanted to start the long-dreaded "talk" that was about to happen, so instead of bringing up their issues like grown adults, they chose to stay silent.

"these cups are nice. where did you buy them from?" kylian said trying to lighten the mood, but it clearly didn't work. the look on aria's face alone terrified him. "cut the bullshit;" she firmly spoke. "you have something to say, so say it." she finished. it was clear as day how fed up aria was with kylian but he hoped the atmosphere would end up better if he started out with a compliment. bad mistake.

"well for starters, i'm sorry. i never intended on saying what i did that day and i've regretted it every single day since then. i still do regret it. i let my anger get the best of me when i should have been patient with you;" he admitted. "i had no right to say what i did no matter how upset i was. matteo was my best friend too and i should have never said anything negative about him or you. i know you know about the problems i'm facing, and i'm not using that as an excuse but you've been so patient with me and i don't wanna lose you, aria. you mean more to me than anything or anyone and i would never let anyone hurt you and i'm so stupid for being the one who hurt you. i care about you so much, aria." kylian wasn't all too big on speaking his feelings. he felt that having his emotions out in the open wasn't something a grown man should be doing at his age. he knew aria was willing to help him out, he just didn't wanna accept her offer to save him from the embarrassment but that was what ultimately caused this problem between them in the first place.

aria sighed deeply. she knew where kylian was coming from, in fact, she knew him a little too well. she just wished he would let the toxic masculinity traits go and learn to let her be there for him. she wanted to help him, but how could she when he refused to allow her to? "i'm disappointed to say the least, but i know you kylian. i know you maybe better than anyone else; and i cant stay mad at you for too long." she smiled at him.

he returned the same smile, but a million times wider, a million times more happy to have his girl back, even if she didn't know it yet. "come sit with me, baby." he layed out sprawled out, similar to how he would during their cuddle sessions. she quickly found her way back in the spot laying on top of him with her head to his chest.

ba bum
ba bum
ba bum

the sound of his heartbeat echoing in his ear, the sound she grew to fall in love with. some random netflix movie was playing quietly in the background and here she was, laying here with the very same man she fell in love with since her childhood.
she wouldn't have it any other way.

   6 YEARS AGO.

"ew you guys! what the hell is this?!" matteo said, covering his eyes after what he just walked in on. aria and kylian hadn't been expecting anyone, much less aria's own brother and kylian's best friend to walk in with his girlfriend. matteo had no idea of what was going on between them for this little while now and aria sure didn't have any plans to tell him.

"ooooh they're cuddling, teo! how cute are they!" matteo's girlfriend, sofía spoke. matteo had been dating her since the year prior, she was an extremely witty & kind girl, everyone saw how her and matteo ended up together. they matched eachother so well. they were eachothers other half.

"yeah.. real cute." he said rolling his eyes and turning around to walk out of the room. this is exactly what aria was afraid of. she knew matteo and she knew he didn't want this entire situation happening from the very start. he wanted his family to stay his family and his friends to stay his friends. the two could not mix.

"no no no..!" aria said, getting up to chase after her clearly annoyed older brother. "you stay, aria. i'll take care of it." sofía smiled at her.

"how the hell can you smile at a time like this? i just ruined my relationship with my brother sofía!" aria whined putting her head down. "relax, aria. he's not gonna kill you for getting with his best friend. that would literally be hypocrisy." sofía said. and she wasn't wrong. sofía's cousin, diego was matteo's best friend throughout high school.

kylian and matteo were a year apart and went though different programs in high school which sort of forced matteo to go out and make new friends. matteo met diego in his physics class and the two bonded over their love for football. they may have almost failed physics, but they we're having a good time, and to them that was all that mattered. sofía was introduced one day when diego invited matteo over during a family gathering. him and sofía kicked it off instantly, but diego had one rule.
do not date any of his family members.
safe to say matteo broke that rule more than once.

"you'll be fine, aria. he'll get over it." kylian spoke softly in her ear, she needed the reassurance at this time. matteo was always overly dramatic but he sounded serious this time. "i'm just worried, kyks. i don't want this to break my bond with him." she chewed on one of her nails nervously. "ok first of all aria, you're his little sister. he's only doing this because of how much he cares for you, he's not going to cut you off;" he spoke, kissing her temple. "second, stop chewing your nail aria. that's actually disgusting." said, faking throwing up. "ugh you're actually such a girl, kylian." she giggled.

the sound of footsteps alarmed them.

"can i speak to you?" matteo said, revealing himself from behind the door. he was visibly  annoyed with kylian for not moving from his spot cuddled next to aria, but he knew that if he was in his place with sofía and it was diego that walked in, he wouldn't get up and move either. "yeah. kylian, stay here please." aria spoke standing up to go meet her brother and his girlfriend in the other room. "he wasn't coming anyways." matteo scoffed and rolled his eyes causing aria to start laughing.

"tell your baby sister what you wanted to say all along!" sofía said, nudging matteo. he rolled his eyes at her before facing his little sister. "i'm sorry for getting mad. you're a grown woman now and can do whatever you want. i know kylian is a good guy i just don't know what i would do if i saw you get hurt by a man, much less one of my best friends." matteo said, letting out a loud, deep sigh.

"i understand where you're coming from, teo, i really do. you know i would never want to upset which was why i kept it hidden, which looking back at it now was a horrible idea. i should have been honest with you." she said pulling him in for a hug. "you're apologies are kind of bad." matteo said to her. "yeah yeah, you're talking?" she giggled, hugging him super duper tight.

"aria..." kylian snapped her out of her flashback daydream, the same one she smiled about everytime she remembered it. he looked down at her with a nervous expression before just ultimately deciding the best course of action would be to blurt out what he wanted to say. so that's exactly what he did.

"i love you, aria."

AUTHORS NOTE !
crazy confession if you ask me 👀

please don't forget to vote, comment
& follow if you enjoyed this chapter!!