The Price of Fame || Chapter 5

1984

Rochelle Davis

Just hours before that premiere, Prince had sent out a "gift" to my hotel room. On the other hand, he would've called me if everyone in his camp wasn't primping in mirrors all over Hollywood. Even West Coast traffic seemed too hectic downtown.

Rochelle,

Scribbled this 4 u before Chick rushed me out of bed.

Just b warned, carpet walks ain't really my thing.

Enjoy 2nite. See u around, hopefully.

Thanks 4 everything.

-P.

PS: Check the box.

I sat down in the front room and picked up that ribbon-tied box as instructed. Lifting this top, my face couldn't help beaming soon after. There were photographs inside, protected in a small album. Joy washed over me as I looked through it all.

Every picture involved Prince, me, and his beloved Mill City Crew.

Us. Morris and Jerome. Lisa and Wendy. Jill. New dame Apollonia. On and on. I'd even scored a movie t-shirt after secretly visiting one of the final rehearsals at First Avenue. Prince insisted.

One of my favorites settled last in this beautiful collection:

While bright, colorful spotlights casted just steps behind our dark and curly hair, Apollonia wanted to take another picture with me. Prince had squeezed through at the last minute and looped his sleeved arms around us both. Stunning yet haunted eyes stared into that camera. We posed pretending to be united "girlfriends."

Prince wrote something in black marker at the very bottom of that picture and I almost teared up.

Ro,

Thank u 4 accepting HER.

She's ur sister now, 4ever.

Bless,

-P.

Not even seconds after I wiped away this last tear, someone knocked on the room's main door. My thoughts scrambled, especially when I never fussed over getting ready.

Instead, unexpected makeup artists, wardrobe aids, and hair stylists showed up. As shock ran through, I pinned down one culprit for this last present.

Of course Prince would do this. I thought.

____________

I'd earned this low-cut yet professional outfit to fight heat that kept raging outside. Hair stylists protted quickly enough to lift my curls for an updo. Even makeup artists didn't paint much, hoping that my face wouldn't break out later on.

Off to work I go.

***

Making the rounds as I networked that violet fabric, there was an interview with everyone possible. Even Apollonia pulled me for a hug and went through the motion of questions. Despite that spiel, she made eye contact, promising my laughter.

Just moments after Prince showed up, that purple limo rolled in and this man almost hopped right out the back seat. Decked in another jacket that sparkled through camera flashes. His matching pants gleamed as well, almost blinding us.

Well, damn. Prince was right. I mused, humored.

Strutting immediately towards the Theater, Prince's dark curls bounced with every step as he ignored everyone. Not too far away, Big Chick and other guards tailed behind him. MTV's Mark Goodman struggled to even make an introduction here.