Epilogue

Rochelle Davis

June 25th, 2009

So sorry. 💔
Damn. 🕊
Thinking of you. 🥺

It was shortly after 3:00 PM in California when notifications pinged on my phone out of nowhere. That damn noise alerted me over and over. I couldn't think straight.

What's going on? I thought to myself.

Rushing to find a television broadcast, I hurried, of course wanting answers.

Within seconds, I found out the truth onscreen as Jermaine walked towards a podium and spoke up:

"My brother, the legendary King Of Pop, Michael Jackson, passed away this afternoon on Thursday, June 25th, 2009 at 2:26 PM..."

My heart shattered.

Mike was gone.

I closed both eyes and took in his voice or watched creativity before long, trying not to break down.

He was truly amazing, and I would never forget him.

_______

February 11, 2012

Whitney.

I almost felt sick that night and even stopped watching news reports after a certain point.

Instead, I played so many favorites, listening to everything from "Saving All My Love" to "Million Dollar Bill" and other hits in between.

Carrying the most infectious laughter, Whitney always made sure that I felt happy before ever leaving her side.

Remembering that promise now, I pulled so many tapes and memories, just watching her and needing to smile.

Despite what these headlines scribbled regarding countless personal choices, she would live in my heart forever.

_____

January 10th, 2016

Bowie.

My heart dropped through shock and grief as news outlets revealed David's previously unknown cancer diagnosis.

I could only blink away these tears, remember this genius, and pray for Iman with silence.

_______

February 15th, 2016

An Ohio area code reached my cell phone out of nowhere.

"Hello?" I asked, surely confused during this random call.

"Rochelle?" After years of not seeing each other, Jill Jones, my girl, reached out.

And yet, she was sniffing through the phone.

"What's wrong?" I wanted to keep my own voice gentle.

"Are you sitting down?" Jill was serious and I only relaxed in the living room.

"Yes." I promised.

"Denise....." Jill couldn't even speak without choking up again. My heart raced.

"Take your time. What's going on?" I eased my voice again with Jill. There was no other choice.

She's gone..." Jill hung up, leaving my voice alone.

Not even minutes later, Jill texted me with a confirmed news alert:

"Sad Entertainment News: Prince protégée and 80's bombshell Denise "Vanity" Matthews passed away today at 57 years old."