The Price of Fame || Chapter 12

1985

Rochelle Davis

"Mike, hold on. What did you just say?" I caught up with Michael for the first time since our new year began. We'd scheduled this dinner and hoped to avoid paparazzi. Only time would tell if media outlets would start chaos sooner than later.

"Nothing's confirmed yet, but I might start recording new music." Michael grinned towards me with beaming eyes after taking off his Aviators in the restaurant.

He'd joined the "USA for Africa" super-group with Lionel Richie to record "We Are World", but Epic Records and Quincy Jones stayed silent otherwise. I could only imagine what Jackson planned out and my questions wouldn't be possibilities.

"About time. No album in three years." After drinking some water, I laughed instead of shouting through happiness right away.

"The Pepsi commercial sidetracked everything." Mike said, briefly sounding disappointed over the accident.

"I'd never fault you. It was literally a nightmare." I tried to ease his nerves between bites of my own meal. Mike hardly touched his plate.

"I know, it was terrible. At the same time, look at what Prince himself has done alone." Michael switched into the chart-watching mode, ready to acknowledge others in show business.

"Don't compare." I tried and failed to change Jackson's mind, but Michael continued speaking anyway.

"Purple Rain had its own film and the soundtrack just included his work." Mike almost shook his head, acknowledging Prince once more.

"I know, but you shouldn't spend the rest of your career competing against other people." I cautioned, still admiring Jackson.

"There's always something to look out for, even if I made another project." Michael still vented.

"That makes sense for sure." I agreed.

_______

Despite our best efforts to be quiet, headlines swarmed regardless:

"Entertainment Journalist Rochelle Davis and superstar Michael Jackson crossed paths again over dinner. Has the reclusive icon finally met his match?"

"More Than Friends? Trailblazing performer Michael Jackson was spotted visiting showbiz writer Rochelle Davis."

"Let them talk. It's nothing to worry about. Steam will run out soon enough if we ignore them." Michael offered wisdom over the phone one night.

"All right. Just wanted to check in with you. Are you sure that I don't need to clear things up on television?" I questioned, trying to watch out for again.

"Absolutely not." Mike scoffed on the other line. "There's no reason to stir the pot even more."

"Cool." I nodded, even though Michael didn't see me in person.

"Can I ask you something?" Mike almost whispered on the phone. I didn't know what to think, but wanted him to keep speaking up.

"Sure." I encouraged him.

"If you're not working, what happens?" Michael asked, seemingly cautious for whatever reason.

"On that rare occasion there's no work, I'm hanging out. You've already seen what happens in the press, Michael." I affirmed, recalling many good times that took place "after dark".

"No, Rochelle. What do you do when the cameras aren't used? Hanging out with other celebrities doesn't count, either." Michael turned serious and I quickly straightened up.