The Price of Fame || Chapter 48

1998

The Artist
wreka_stow

Footage showed Rochelle having the time of her life in California.

She looked good and beautiful as always: The Locs were perfect, she wore a cute tank top with shorts, and makeup seemed light outdoors.

"Are you serious?" During one of MTV's beachfront programs, Ro had turned around and immediately recognized Carmen.

Smiles warmed my heart as these two traded encouragement back and forth on screen.

"I'm here with my girl, the one and only Carmen Electra. We'll be back after these messages. Stay tuned!" Rochelle played off the excitement before commercials started.

With curiosity peaking, I still watched the broadcast just to see how Rochelle and Carmen would react to each other.

Within minutes, the show returned.

"I'm back with Carmen Electra..." Rochelle stood right beside Carmen and went over everything from "Baywatch" to other future projects. Not bad.

This show ended with Carmen joyfully saying goodbye. Even Rochelle had exchanged the microphone for a Pepsi sponsorship onscreen.

I laughed when Carmen toasted the soda cans with my wife.

"This is Rochelle Davis signing off! You're watching MTV. Stay safe and have a great weekend." As the show faded away, credits rolled.

I called, missing her.

"Did you have fun?" I chuckled, more than amused.

"I'm so happy!" Rochelle beamed on the other line. "Covering that show was like a vacation, not just work."

"Proud of you." I smiled again, genuinely supporting her.

"Thank you, baby." She welcomed the compliment.

"When are you coming back? Your side of the bed is cold." I asked.

"Soon. Promise." Rochelle told me.

****

Michael???

Damn.

Just before Ro came back to me, new footage dropped.

Despite watching his short but creative interview on MTV, I could barely process how Mike looked first.

Neat bangs fell over his forehead. This black leather jacket layered a white shirt. Aviator sunglasses clipped onto that same fabric.

"Hold up, look at you! Hi." Rochelle almost sprinted into the room onscreen before cameras stopped filming.

Once Michael stopped laughing with the camera crew, he stood up and hugged my wife, smiling at her.

Don't be jealous. I thought to myself. Not again.

***

"Soon" became much longer. Time would always be an illusion, but my lady wasn't here.

Before she came back, I'd leave events or ditch the studio after a certain point, watching channels and trying to see my best friend.

______

At last, extra weight finally reached the bed. I looked through clouding eyes to see my wife.

"Hey. It's me. Didn't mean to wake you up." Her voice calmed my soul.