The Price of Fame || Chapter 36

1993

Rochelle Davis

wreka_stow

By New Year's Day, he was still with me, protecting us in one way or another.

Press outlets kept pushing and somehow brainstormed whether or not we'd crumble in the future.

I even stamped his well-known symbol onto my left shoulder blade.

Nose ring. Tattoo. I was "changing" just like he did.

Our next photoshoot consisted of another magazine interview. My husband dodged footage, not wanting to launch anything big yet.

Especially considering the future tour, he was already exhausted. No fault of his own.

He pushed through for me, for us.

After that magazine interview was published, he faced rehearsals and asked for my input, aiming closer to Spring.

"Come with me." He said after rehearsal one night.

"For what?" I rolled my eyes.

"So we don't miss each other anymore. Please?" He lifted my chin.

"No. Janet has a new album." I tried to defend myself and mentioned work.

It was true. Soon, Janet would release her first project in four years. Show business would view self-titled music with a brand new image.

"Lord...." My husband groans.

"What?" I scoffed.

My husband knew the drill. Once an industry friend dropped upcoming work, I was right there, hustling for coverage.

"You haven't felt this happy since Sheila he worked around here." He still knew my heart well enough to credit one of our girls.

I remember those days. We both did.

Faux mink coats. Wild hair. Late work nights. Almost no sleep. On and on. Even though times had changed, his latest protégés would never understand

I knew more. So much more.

"Promise to visit?" My husband asked.

"Of course." I smiled.

________

I wasn't able to visit Janet during the first days of promotion, but everyone scrambled when her album was released.

Not only did she give out work showing New Jack Swing and teasing ballads, but even the album cover shocked headlines.

Topless. Janet posed topless for Rolling Stone and never looked back, just covered by the hands of a stranger.

"Don't get any ideas." I swatted my husband away, shooing him as we read the article.

"My mind's already spinning. You're too fine anyway." He tossed the magazine and watched me for a moment.

"Leave me alone." I laughed, scooting from him. Yet, he pinned me down and casted those perfect eyes.

"Uh-uh. Look at me. You deserve the spotlight too." He affirms, kissing my neck as we faced that mirrored ceiling.

"Not touring with you." Despite my statement, I failed to really concentrate now.

"I'll even book your own personal photoshoot. Bring anyone you want. Just ask." My husband suggested.

"Thank you, but why?" I squinted.