The Price of Fame || Chapter 23

1988

Prince

Anything for her. This phrase became my newest mantra.

Our second leg of this tour had reached countless U.S. cities. As my own heart flew with joy over and over again, Ro was right there. At one point in time, she had even joined me during both scheduled gigs at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Wired from another after show, I mindlessly watched television and twirled this gold ring finger, missing my baby. She left me for work this time, of course flying elsewhere. From interviews to red carpet events, my best friend just kept going.

So pretty. I daydreamed time and again, thinking of so much more that we could do together. Not even considering physical intimacy, I just longed for her smile without distance.

Right now, Rochelle interviewed Whitney again in light of Houston's own tour. Their conversation moved back and forth like family by now, rather than sounding professionally robotic onscreen. I couldn't help smiling, grateful for this moment.

"So glad we could talk again!" Finishing this broadcast, Whitney raved as she stood up to hug my wife and beamed this well-known grin.

"My pleasure. Bless you and this tour." Ro seemed to cherish her embrace for Whitney as the footage changed to end this program.

*****

I spent more nights alone. We could only manage phone calls this time, especially since traveling all around shifted our lives again.

"I miss you." I told her every time, still yearning.

"I miss you too, baby. Just tell me whenever ya'll come back to L.A. I'll be there. Promise." Her own answer broke my heart, but at least hope lingered.

"Fine. What are you doing, Mama?" I shouldered the phone, thinking of the way she could've looked right now. Curly hair, no makeup. Stunning regardless.

"Getting ready to go out. There's a premiere tonight." Rochelle definitely smiled as she talked on the other line.

"What movie?" I rolled my eyes towards the ceiling.

"Coming to America, that new Eddie Murphy project." Ro continued. Not that I wasn't happy, but missing her still made my heart ache.

"Cool." I almost deadpanned.

"Don't worry. I'll let you know if it's good." Ro had tried to make me laugh, but I could only smirk without seeing her in person.

"All right. Have fun. Love you." I said,

"Thanks, love you too." Ro hung up, leaving me hollow without her voice again.

________

Reports of that "Coming To America" movie floated around shortly after we talked on the phone.

At the premiere, Rochelle scored interviews all night, especially reuniting with Denise and Patricia on that red carpet. Footage even captured their note of pleasant laughter. That united sound echoed to my heart like music, almost stuck with me.

"Happy?" I joked with my wife soon after, returning to my hotel room after yet another after-show

"Are you kidding me? The movie was hilarious!" Rochelle nearly cackled through the receiver.

"I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself." I almost sighed out loud, but caught myself. There was no other choice.

"Don't trip for much longer. I'll see you again soon enough." Rochelle offered this surprise. My brow arched, but my heart rate picked up even more.

"Really?" I asked, surely intrigued now.

"Yep. I'll be there tomorrow." Ro said, lining up with my back to back concerts in Los Angeles.

___________

By the end of show number one, I couldn't even help myself and kissed Rochelle backstage, completely ignoring anyone else who lingered around us. Sheila and Cat rolled their eyes, but I didn't care. Nothing could change my feelings right now.

Layering one short jacket that marked this tour's logo on the back, Ro sported a black tank top, shaping perfect legs through matching pants. She topped curls with ivory-rimmed sunglasses. From habit, an entry lanyard looped around her neck.

She was in her element, looking both comfortable and beautiful all at once.

"Hi," I held her lovely face, staring into the deep brown eyes that captured me four years ago.

"Hi," she said back.

"After-show tonight?" Rochelle questioned, recalling my late-night routine like clockwork by now.

"Nah. Maybe tomorrow." I shook my head and reached out, taking her along with me as we headed to the parking lot.

__________

We woke up the next morning together, but she couldn't go to rehearsal with me. With no other choice, I endured the sadness alone, burying myself through work as a distraction.

The very spirit of her presence lingered, quietly looming as I watched out for small details on this sound stage.

Even as I chimed different melodies on the piano or strummed guitars, her encouraging voice somehow reached my thoughts.

"Good job, baby."

"I love you."

"I'll be back tonight. Promise."

By showtime, she came right back, jamming all the way through my second concert in Los Angeles. From classics to album cuts. I'd never smiled as often during almost any other gig.

_________

Hours later, the after-show was no different. Ro peered up at me time and again while situated in the front row, singing along or dancing with the biggest grin on her face. It took everything in me not to bring her up with us and groove even longer.

Early morning dawn greeted us by the time we returned to this hotel room, but my thoughts ignored that reality.

Not even seconds after closing that door back, we fell asleep together, holding each other without even fixing the blankets.

****

Darlin,'

Thank u. Thank u. Thank u.

I know times that r not easy, but u came still back home.

Every time we see each other, I love u even more. My heart remembers everything. Our first meeting. Our wedding. On and on.

I love u so much, Rochelle.

4ever urs,

-Husband.