The Price of Fame || Chapter 35

wreka_stow

1992

Rochelle Davis

My husband wouldn't tour again until '93, but we didn't care, celebrating his last album made for this year.

"Love Symbol" was titled through media promptly to handle his current name. Despite all of our chaos, fans raved once more. Meanwhile, so many entertainment critics like myself continued business as usual, and reviewed the new album.

He released eighteen tracks for the world. Dramatic or funny segues were included as well. As he pulled R&B and Hip-Hop singles or jammed Funk and Rock, I praised this man. His brilliant music worked like kaleidoscopes that I had known forever.

"You okay?" I asked, sitting up in bed one evening. Moments later, as if synchronized, we both faced the mirrored ceiling that would usually land us in trouble.

"Yeah. Why?" His voice almost crooned towards me, but he scooted closer. A scarf wrapped around his pompadour cut to avoid frizz.

"No studio time. You'd typically work right now." I offer the remark, knowing dam-well that midnight lurked.

"Haven't looked at you." He scooted even closer, briefly smiling against my lips as we face each other.

"What do you mean?" I squinted, confused for a moment, through our legs tangled under the covers.

"Autopilot." My husband says, drifting towards silence as I quickly realize the particular word.

It's true.

Routines would come back like a vengeance for us soon.

Jetlag will slap me for work. Then, before long, he'll fall into rehearsal, thereby heading towards countless shows later on.

Sleeping as one turns into phone calls. His smile turns into letters, and I end up listening to the answering machine instead of laughing in person.

We know exactly what happens next year.

As if he can feel my mind drifting away, he reaches out across the bed and holds hands with me, kissing my forehead in return.

"I love you." I reply, genuinely thankful for his presence as fall asleep together in our bed.

__________

Days later, I found another letter on my pillow.

Ro,

Finally shooting the "7" music video. Wish u were here, but this LA soundstage is 2 crowded and time crunches r wild.

I love u more than any lyrics crafted by my own hand. As great as I am, u r my world, God knew.

U r shining star and ur spirit flames with mine until the very end.

Eternally, urs,

-Husband.

Showering alone, I took in his world, took my mind towards the past as I thoughts so much.

First meeting backstage. Trading phone numbers. Blossomed feelings. The engagement.

Marriage now.

No matter what, he still was my best friend and we could handle anything.

*****

"Carmen!"

My birthday party took place not long after everyone shot the "7" music video.

We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, especially since the latest projects crowded everything.

Even our pictures would take over the media soon enough.

At that time, everyone knew the drill.

Countless protégés realized how my own dynamics panned out in this Paisley world.

Respect me, and you'll be respected.

In the middle of posing with Carmen, a familiar presence washed over this venue.

"Where's my wife?" His speaking voice nearly crooned over the sound system

Carmen and I noticed, cheering alongside other guests.

"Gotta go." I laughed. Carmen kissed my cheek before I walked towards the stage.

Cheering only heightened when I reached the stage and looked at my husband.

"Happy birthday, Mama." He smiled behind this microphone and winked, dressing up to match the party's bright color scheme.

I almost swooned while holding his hand. . Even Carmen whistled, prompting me to chuckle.

Seconds later, staff entered with flowers, gifts, and this candlelit birthday cake.

I didn't even realize that my parents were around until everyone began to sing.

Happy birthday, Rochelle.
Happy birthday to you!

Mommy hugged me first, prompting us to rock it and forth. I could only imagine how cameras might've acknowledged this .

I stopped crying long enough to see my husband greet Dad.

Despite him, of course wearing another unexpected outfit, there was nothing short of admiration and kindness for my father.

At that point, my husband returned to the microphone and cleared his throat, joyfully peering at me with gratitude in his eyes.

"Ro," He smiled and I nodded. As if on cue, a screen behind us played footage of our wedding. Not a dry eye in the house.

"What are you saying?" I laugh through happy tears.

In that moment, he knelt, showing off the most beautiful emerald ring. Everyone lost their minds around us.

"Will you marry me again?" He asks. Both laughter and joy centers the venue now.

"Yes!" I answered feverishly, leaning inward pl kiss him. The opening acapella of "7," some of my all-time favorite work from him, reaches our ears as we smile together.
______

The vow renewal ceremony was incredible. White and golden accents painted our beautiful milestone.

Eight years.

We made small but wonderful plans just days before Christmas.

Snowflakes fluttered through his Minnesota weather, but we only rested afterward because he didn't outright celebrate that holiday.

If only we realized what would happen next.