The Price of Fame || Chapter 6

1984

Rochelle Davis

Laughing. Two of the biggest stars on Earth laughed together. Mike and Prince didn't share a brotherly moment, but their smiles had looked so real. If only the press would mention something like this more often. I could only imagine that talk.

Even after Prince walked off for the night with Big Chick and other guards, Michael couldn't stop grinning.

"I'll be back. Go back to the dance floor." I told the ladies. Denise and Apollonia jokingly whined, but I declined their sweet offer to keep grooving as a trio.

"What's so funny?" I opened my arms and hugged Michael. As he told me on the phone, Mike never visited that purple carpet. At the same time, I still never expected him to show up to this after party.

"Talked to Prince about the film, but we kept debating his music." Mike chuckled through his words and beamed another perfect smile as we stopped hugging.

"Oh, no. Are you preaching about Darlin' Nikki or something?" I rolled my eyes as New Age tunes played from the Disk Jockey.

"No. That record's pretty much about groupies just like Billie Jean, Rochelle." Mike offered his rebuttal. So very wrong.

"Believe whatever you want." I shrugged and let Jackson keep that dream in his mind. Groupies were a close topic, but I couldn't shatter too much.

"Did you enjoy the film?" Michael questioned.

"Of course. It was fun and different to watch." I smiled once more.

"Prince might start touring soon." Mike stepped closer and almost whispered to me at this point.

"I know." I winked.

"How did you already know?" Michael acted shocked.

"Because." I finally turned away from Michael, soon bidding farewell to Denise and Apollonia back on the dance floor.

_________

Cold day in the summer, if I call your ass up on the phone....

"No Call U" by Prince, 1982

"Wanna tour with me? Plenty of work." Somehow, Prince called at an ungodly hour not long after I returned to my hotel room. I could only manage to kick off these heels, drained from this incredible night.

"I'm not packing everything up for you." I stood my ground. Visiting him wouldn't be bad of course, but I'd never revolve life around his career.

"Mike's quiet." Prince joked on the other line.

"I know, but you better watch out. As much as we talk shit, he might plan something for next year." I scoffed, raising my eyebrow even though Prince couldn't see me in person.

"Let me stop. You're right." Prince had whistled before drifting towards another subject. "You still busy tonight?"

"Tired." I swept back my curls. "What about you?'

"Can't sleep. Where you at?" P clipped those words.

"Back at my hotel. Why?" I narrowed my eyes for a moment, definitely puzzled.

__________

"No piano in here?" Still rocking that ruffled white shirt along with the floral pattern blazer and pants, Prince clicked his boots forward. Meanwhile, I closed the door, welcoming him into this space.

"Checking out tomorrow. No need to go all out for just three days. Plus, I still have that kind of money." I offered the truth. "It's your night, after all."

At that moment, Prince nearly spun on his heels and turned to face, peering towards with those deep eyes. He then took both of my hands, silent at first.

"Ro?" Using my nickname, His whisper came back for one person to hear. Not Apollonia. Not Jill. Not even Denise. Me.

"Yeah?" My voice almost caught, but this gentle laugh had calmed down my sudden nerves.

I couldn't remember who shut their eyes and stepped closer first, but I somehow ended up standing inches away from his lips.

"Go ahead." Prince spoke up.

"Okay." I affirmed. Even my heart fluttered. Despite not opening our eyes, we both chuckled, slightly nervous like teenagers.

Just when I tilted my head, the phone rang again.

"Hello?" I picked up the phone. Prince stood in complete silence just steps away from me, not even turning on that television.

"Rochelle?" Michael asked on the other line.

"Mike, what's going on?" I furrowed my brow, watching Prince anyway. This slight form of astonishment washed over his face.

"Nothing, I just wanted to talk with you again. Tonight was fun, but did I call at a bad time?" Michael asked, clearly concerned for me.

"Kind of." I nodded. Even Prince agreed without speaking up and giving himself away.

"Oh! I'm sorry. We'll talk soon. Goodbye." Michael clicked off faster than I could even say farewell.

"That was Mike." I hung up the phone before Prince could rush those perfect heels away and leave.

"Cool." Prince rubbed the back of his neck, but took off that blazer jacket and sat on the edge of my bed.

"We don't have to do anything." I made a promise to this man and would never force anything on him. I respected him far too much.

"Do you still want to?" Prince turned is slim hips and looked at me with direct eye contact, utterly focused.

"Yeah." I said.

Once Prince scooted closer and bumped his knee towards my mine, we closed our eyes again, leaning in.

For the very first time, we kissed.