The Price of Fame || Chapter 53

2000

Rochelle Davis-Nelson

Vegas.

At one point, we ended up dancing on stage together during "Raspberry Beret," lost in our own world. This packed arena squealed, overjoyed.

"I love you! Make some noise for Prince, ladies and gentlemen." I couldn't help beaming when Prince handed me the microphone.

"I love you, too." Prince chuckled seconds later just before I returned backstage.

***

Prince and I floated on Cloud Nine immediately after the show. Mayte wouldn't understand.

We couldn't even sleep at the hotel. It was as if that concert took our worries away, however long that silence would last.

"You leaving me tomorrow?" Prince teased.

"MTV. You know the drill." I rolled my eyes and referenced the annual Video Music Awards.

"I would go with you, but I'm still working on the next album." Prince told me.

"Have you chosen a title yet?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"The Rainbow Children." Prince revealed that future album title and simply walked off.

My jaw should've hit this bathroom sink.

So many questions! My husband could have interpreted anything with his own brilliant mind.

"No clues. It's a surprise." Prince kisses my cheek and sits down at a piano centered in the spacious front area.

"Are you kidding?" I held my heart, dramatic as a joke.

"No release date until next year, either." Prince still messed with me and played chords of "Venus De Milo" at the same time.

"Party poop!" I called over the piano.

"That movie was fun in hindsight." Prince recalled, still playing chords. We laughed all night, just sitting with music.

***

We only separated the following evening because I still attended MTV's Video Music Awards.

Finally able to see Janet again, I cheered from the excited audience.

My girl tore up that stage in rippled black during a live performance of her brand-new song titled "Doesn't Really Matter."

I'd already watched "Nutty Professor II" or played that electric music video constantly. She was back to hustle and nobody else could get in her way.

"I'm so happy for you!" I smiled after the show and Janet turned up her sweet dimples while looking at me.

"Thank you." Janet answered.

A few pictures later, we said goodbye earlier than expected because security needed to help Janet get out of here.

***

Mike called unexpectedly when I returned to Los Angeles while Prince still recorded his album at Paisley Park or elsewhere.

"Still working. Just wanted to check in with you, Rochelle." Michael sounded content on the phone.

"Hi! Can't wait to hear the full album." I still encouraged Michael. As I've said, based on production alone, his new tracks would be amazing.

"Thank you. The plan is to release everything next year." Michael continued.