The Price of Fame || Chapter 33

1992

Rochelle Davis

No major headlines, at least not yet. With the "Diamonds" tour running at last, we couldn't handle seeing any more drama. I left him to his own devices, given no other choice but to distance myself. For the first time in a while, I needed to work again. Interviews. Red carpet events. Promo for other artists. I kept moving on.

Yet, his '91 album plastered everywhere, hustling in reverse for the contract. Carmen opened shows. Two brunettes, each named Diamond and Pearl, modeled so many times. My husband still dazzled crowds with nothing short of talent.

Our calls and letters continued

Our calls and letters continued. We stayed up once more with no sense of actual time. Even my otherwise numbing jet lag didn't matter anymore.

"Busy again, huh?" My husband mumbles again, still wired from the stage despite our time differences. He slept across the world, away from me.

"Working just like you. What's the problem?" I joke, trying to avoid sleep and keep up with him again.

"Nothing. Just miss you." He admits. In return, I knew that he definitely pouted despite no up close view.

"Miss you, too. Has Rosie asked for me to show up yet?" I chuckled again, knowing that his slight annoyance is cute.

"No." He lies.

"I'll be around soon, you could miss my birthday, though." I grit my teeth while continuing our phone call.

"Hell no." He affirms. "I've always organized things when trying to fit your birthday."

"We'll see, even though I'd love to have you there." I attempt, wanting to calm down his briefly rattled mind.

"I'll be there." My husband vows, once again planning to stand by me in one way or another.

_______

"Donnie!" I yell out loud, messing with Donnie Simpson, longtime lead of the entertainment program "Video Soul."

"Out here doing a better job than me." Donnie volleys his own words to compliment me. We've chatted between commercial breaks as he waits for any guest to arrive.