The Price of Fame || Chapter 21

1988

Rochelle Davis-Nelson

By the new year, we returned "home." Now, his dream world of Paisley Park had sprawled across thousands of acres. From brilliant studio wings to high-end sound stages, his own imagination erupted. I'd never seen anything like that before.

"Ro!" Sheila yelled and waved at me despite running in another direction, dressed from top to bottom in this glamorous flurry of white. 

As I'd always known, life shifted once again, promoting Prince's new album, "Lovesexy." Brightness kicked up my mood every day.

I'd just reviewed the album, beaming with pride or jamming. Tracks ranged R&B to Pop, bridging intimacy and heaven all at once. I could only imagine what crossed his mind during studio sessions whenever I walked out.

"Hey, Mama." Prince greeted me, smiling through his words. I stood close to one of many racks.

"Hi," I looked forward and scan these clothes, ignoring him.

"Need something to wear, what kinda piece do you want?" Prince was still talking and stood behind me, teasing.

"I saw Cat wearing this great jacket the other day." I spoke up, playing around. And yet, employees heard me within earshot.

Once Minnesota's daylight went black, there was an official jacket hanging in the closet. While main fabric shaded in electric blue, two initials ran along my leftward sleeve, printed with dark  letters.

RD

"Nobody stitched my second last name?" I questioned.

"Nah, you can wear this without me." Prince affirmed, sitting at the piano in one of our upper rooms.

"Cool." I answered him. "What should we do tonight?"

"Whatever you want." Prince offered that rare smile and glanced over his shoulder as he continued playing.

"I'm flying out, but I still have time with you." I looked at him.

"Where you going?" Prince asked this question and frowned towards me, completely stopping his musical chimes at the piano.

"Jet-hopping for work again." I made that so-called announcement, using our code for the way I traveled quite often.

My husband and best friend turned his pretty eyes to the ceiling. "Bring people out here if you're doing interviews."

"Nope." I reminded him. "I always meet people where they are, you know better than that."

"Let go of the leash." Prince lowered his voice more and stood from the piano, opening sleeved arms to hold me.

"What do you mean?" I looked up at him and stared into those eyes again, almost entranced.

"Other people should follow you now. No more chasin.' You hear me?" Prince lifted my chin, moving his lips closer to mine.

"I love you." My mind clouded, still in love with him. Always in love with him.

"I love you too, but stay with me." Prince hushed words between our kisses, acting slowly.

"I want to, but my flight is already booked." I replied, trying to concentrate in one way or another.

"Come back to me." Prince slightly loosened our conversation, but still frowned and kissed my fingers, especially near the wedding band.

"I'll come back home as soon as possible. I gently bumped my forehead against his own.

___________

Ro,