The Price of Fame || Chapter 42

wreka_stow

1997

Rochelle Davis

The VH1 Honors.

Earlier, NPG offered this incredible rendition of "The Holy River." His outright famous guitar had shredded with absolute hope.

Now, as low beams cast my man in blue, this hyped instrumental "tuned" "Strange Relationship." One of my all-time favorites.

"Everybody get up. C'mon!"

Currently dressed through ivory from Paisley Park, of course, the spotlights brightened again after he performed in red.

"Dedicating this last set to my baby. I love you, Rochelle!"

I pointed back and forth between myself or the band, grooving down memory lane.

This time, melodies jammed with the same key for "Take Me With U" and "Raspberry Beret." As he expected, I kept grinning.

After everything that happened last year, our hearts needed this. So bad.

______

Even backstage, we almost frolicked towards each other.

He smiled against my lips and we hugged, overjoyed with energy.

"Now what?" I asked, chuckled as he looped his sleeved arm around my shoulder.

"Happy birthday." My husband gestured towards an incoming cake.

Even Mayte was back, and her dress matched pink shades of my surprise dessert.

Forgoing this cake, I almost ran to her and we shared an overdue embrace.

"Hi, sweetheart. You get this first slice. Go ahead. I insist." I stepped back, allowing her to move past me.

We stood near the cake to cut slices, whispering to each other.

"Happy birthday," she told me. I nodded, handing over her plate first.

All three of us sat down and enjoyed this cake in silence. At times, my husband reached to hold my hand, shining our gold.

____

There was an amazing Grammy show. Then i visited the American Music Awards. I handled business again, going by routines after my birthday.

As I planned to fly out and see Janet's new "Velvet Rope" tour, my husband just stopped these footsteps out of nowhere.

"What? I gotta leave." I struggled and laughed through a routine goodbye.

"Where are you going?" He arched his brow, flirting again.

"Janet concert." I said quickly.? He tried to bring me away from this luggage.

"Is that my symbol, too?" My husband asked, reaching out towards my gold necklace with his fingertips.

"Gonna be late." I scoffed.

"So what?" He still curved his finger again, pulling my steps further away from the suitcase tonight.

This man....

_____

I never made it to the damn airport, let alone Janet's concert.

And then, I woke up to somehow see this exact same person laughing with Rosie O'Donnell as he promoted "Emancipation."

Who are you, Sir? I hilariously thought to myself.