The Price of Fame || Chapter 38

1994

Rochelle Davis

New year. Fresh start.

My best friend was back at work and of course I followed, anticipating our future.

"Locs?!" Adorable, my husband tripped out with the biggest smile on his face.

Neither of us flinched over what "term" marked his cheek in dark letters. I completely understand that move. Times changed.

This time, he also cut his own hair short enough as part of a brand-new look.

"Stop yelling. Thank you!" I chuckled, humored as soon as he rose from the chair and looked at me.

Despite everything that we'd gone through, he still glanced towards me in awe.

We gently kissed, forgoing more time in the studio.

***

"Yes!" I cheered some time later.

Not only did my husband release his new project, slyly titled "Come," but he'd finally crafted this great album version of "Loose."

Overall, the album was nothing short of perfect to me.

Jazz. Dance Music. Hip-Hop. R&B. Conscious. Sexy. Heartbreaking. Peaceful. On and on. I'd heard another kaleidoscope of genius.

Only three singles mounted for promotion, but we celebrated anyhow.

And yet, countless headlines struggled to understand this gem, still preoccupied with my husband's ongoing image nowadays.

VH1 Honors. "Soul Train." The World Music Awards. Late-night gigs. Glam Slam performances. A special pop-up at "The Today Show" with Nona Gaye. Even his incredible "aftershows" would continue.

He just kept moving, and I was so proud.

My husband didn't attend MTV's Video Music Awards this year, but we returned from elsewhere and learned big news:

Michael had married Lisa and Presley and kissed her on national television!

On the other hand, my own husband even taped our reaction that night. The footage quickly shook.

"Oh, shit, yeah!" We both shouted on camera, immediately joyful.

This couple seemed happy, and we had no business judging our friends.

***

Even music videos were rare, but I still supported this crew.

After NPG filmed "Race," I "snuck" off set in an attempt to leave before my husband would notice. I'd have to travel for work.

"Uh-uh. Where are you going?" He jokingly snips and moves those heels toward me. His band then snickers in the background.

"Don't start. I gotta go." I defended myself. He set both arms around my waist. Even Mayte giggled somewhere.

"Love you!" My husband called out, prompting us all to laugh again as I headed to the airport.

***

Big-time interviews. Concert visits. Red carpet events. Business as usual.

By the time I came back to Paisley Park, he was already working on something else.

"What are you doing?" I asked, noticing how walls could've shook over such loud music in the studio.

He spruced up another funky rendition of "Billy Jack Bitch."

I never felt upset.

He crafted an ode for one disrespectful media writer who knew absolutely nothing about him. No different than "Controversy."

"Next year." He answered simply, but turned off the music and leaned back in his chair, looking at me through silence.

"What?" I scoffed.

"New music." He "revealed" obvious information.

"Tell me something that I don't know." I quickly rolled my eyes.

"Don't be fresh." My husband arched his brow.

"I'm not. Let's go to bed." I winked, standing up to leave the room.

When I glanced over my shoulder, he e, for "trouble" without hesitation.

****

That very next day, I woke up and realized that my husband added his original version of "Shh" to the future album.

Ro,

I never wanted 2 leave our bed. U r perfection and I adore u.

My baby. My best friend. My heart. My soulmate.

The sheets tangled 4 us.

I would make love 2 you 4ever if possible.

I'm still lost without u, NEEDING 2 stay in ur arms.

When I come back, we can do anything u want, Mama.

I love u so much.

Eternally urs,

-Husband

Ten years. Ten years passed since we first met, and he still acted sprung.

So did I.

***

He flew back home from Europe, and we immediately returned to bed. No chatting. Few smiles.

By the time he woke up in my arms again, it was nightfall.

"Hi." His voice is low, but that rare smile beamed at me as my husband rustled blankets and gently caressed my cheek.

"Hi." I repeated. He settled his face into my neck and kissed my skin. I could hardly breathe from his lips, taking in ecstasy.

"I love you so much." He kissed further and further down, lighting my senses ablaze.

I couldn't answer him for once, reduced to small gasps or nearly moaning.

Just when he planned to move these blankets away from us and drive me wild once more, a landline rang out of nowhere.

He only stopped touching me to pick up that receiver and slammed it right back down.

________

"Negative." I whispered to him in the bathroom sometime later.

It didn't hurt to check, even though he and I were always careful and extremely safe during our relationship.

His only response was to kiss me again and play "Vicki Waiting." I completely understood.

Having kids together now would be out of the question, or at least until further notice.

Hectic careers. Too much press around. No privacy. We couldn't risk it.

At this point, only time would give us the truth.

wreka_stow