The Price of Fame || Chapter 26

1990

Rochelle Davis-Nelson

Prince had always believed that time was an illusion, but I still looked forward to the new year. Fresh starts. Future opportunities. Upcoming chapters.

As expected, my husband once again shifted that famous musical style. This time, he discovered New Jack Swing. Despite finding hints of that pocket, he still made the genre his own. Different records bumped out loud quite often, intriguing me.

"Check this out when you get a chance." Prince handed over one cassette tape just when I planned to head out.

"All right. Cool." I smiled and lifted the cassette tape over my hat after kissing his cheek. We needed to go our separate ways for the afternoon because I had to work.

"Please come back when you're done. Love you." Prince frowned in an adorable way, but I couldn't cancel anything.

"Okay. Love you, too." I called out, locking the front door behind me.

____________

We are the New Power Generation.

We want to change the world.

The only thing that's in our way is you.

Your old fashioned music, your old ideas.

We're sick and tired of you telling us what to do!

I hummed and whistled that melody between stops, sang to myself when cameras stopped rolling, or snapped my fingers.

For quite a while now, Prince valued my opinion as his own litmus test. If I didn't enjoy songs enough, he would use that record sometime later or scrap the idea altogether.

"Not bad." Back home in the apartment, I laughed, watching random channels later that night because Prince couldn't fall asleep.

"Don't do that." Prince smiled and arched one brow, wrapping up his hair to avoid messing up that longer style.

"You know I like the record." I defended myself.

"I know. What did you do today?" Prince hugged my pillow again, getting comfortable for once.

"Same old, same old." I shrugged. "Ready for Award season?"

"As long as you're there, I'll go." Prince smiled once more.

_________

During the American Music Awards, we held hands while moving down that red carpet together. Prince's smile wouldn't even fade as cameras flashed once again.

Receiving the Award of Achievement, Prince was honored by Anita Baker

Receiving the Award of Achievement, Prince was honored by Anita Baker. She offered her presentation to this crowd. As media covered Prince's albums, proteges, musical styles, and everything in between, this incredible tribute made me tear up.