The Price of Fame || Chapter 14

1985

Rochelle Davis

Prince wanted to attend my sister's graduation with me, but I refused that sweet invitation. Not that I planned to ignore him, but the press would've swarmed her ceremony and pinned hysteria all around him. I couldn't ruin that special weekend.

Instead, Prince had "secretly" ordered one top-notch camera. Before long, my sister unwrapped that present at her celebration dinner, flabbergasted in the best way possible. Tears flowed that night. All the while, Prince didn't want money back.

"I'll tape an interview with MTV soon." Out of nowhere one night, Prince had revealed news that would change everything

"What?" I almost dropped this pen while sitting on the bed. Too many questions reached my mind. "When? How?"

"Steve'll ask all of my questions while I'm working on the movie in France." Prince answered me while standing in the bathroom mirror and referred to manager Steve Fargnoli.

Soon enough, Prince would leave The States again to keep filming a new project called "Under The Cherry Moon."

"All right, but if anything goes wrong, call me. Going public like that could risk another media train wreck." Looking out for him as usual, I considered so many possibilities, if he defended himself. Wanting him safe, protection had kicked up even more now.

"I'll be fine." Shirtless, Prince walked out of the bathroom and kissed my forehead, whispering that gentle promise.

"I know." I nodded, taking in those words rather than debating him again. Only time would give us the truth.

_________

I nearly cried

I nearly cried. Regardless of my worry, MTV's official broadcast turned out to be remarkable.

Jerome, British actress Kristin Scott Thomas, and extras from this staged "America'' music video performance also surrounded him. Despite this "crowd," cameras were utterly focused as Prince held his own. While slick hair styled perfectly, he joked over cuff-links, cleared musical trash, and advised wisdom, still keeping my attention.

And yet, the last few moments of this groundbreaking interview would always live in my heart:

I believe in God. There is only one God. And I believe in an afterworld. Hopefully we'll all see it. I have been accused of a lot of things contrary to this, and I just want people to know that I'm very sincere in my beliefs. I pray every night, and I don't ask for much. I just say, "Thank you." - Prince Rogers Nelson: MTV, 1985

________

Not long after MTV's interview took place, Prince came back to me and offered one more idea.

"You want a joint interview someday?" I asked, simply washing the dishes after dinner one night.

"It'll make sense, Ro. I didn't wanna bother you while I'm still working on the movie, either. " Prince suggested.