Triumphant

It had been a glorious afternoon of doing almost nothing. No demanding calls from the council or Team Valiant. No life-threatening encounters with the Neverseen (though Sophie knew those days weren't over just yet). Just hanging around with Keefe, laughing, goofing off, and playing with Wynn and Luna.

But something was itching at the back of her mind while she sat in the twilight with Keefe, watching the sweet alicorn family play.

"Keefe?"

"Hmm?" He responded after a second. She could tell he was getting very sleepy after having been up most of the night.

"You said something earlier. About how Fitz thinks he pushed me into your arms because of the unmatchable thing." She didn't say anything else for a moment.

Keefe sat up straighter, angling himself towards her. "Yes? Not going to go find your biological parents and go running back to him now, are you?" He asked. But this time, she could sense that he really was just teasing. He didn't seem fearful or uncertain—just incapable of resisting making frequent jokes.

But Sophie reached for his hand anyway. "No, absolutely not. That's why I'm bringing it up. I want to make it clear. You've made your position very clear so now it's my turn." She looked him in the eyes while he laced their fingers together, lightly kissing her hand and waiting expectantly for her to continue.

"You know—embarrassingly —all about my crush on Fitz. And you said you knew that deep down I had feelings for you, but couldn't tell if they would turn into anything?" He nodded. "Well I've spent the last several weeks—since you left—going back over everything. So many little moments. Times when you were flirting but I didn't realize it. Wouldn't let myself think anything of it—partly because I was distracted by Fitz and partly because I didn't think it meant anything. But I've realized, every time you got close, or said something sweet or flirty, something in me knew it and reacted to it. And every time something went wrong, YOU were the one I went to. Not Fitz. Not even Biana or Dex. I knew you were the one I could trust with my pain or my anger or decisions. I knew you would be there for me regardless of the situation." Sophie paused and took a deep breath. "Keefe. Even if I hadn't been unmatchable, even if Fitz and I had been on each other's match lists, I need you to know that eventually, it still would have been you." Sophie blushed at the raw, mushy nature of this open confession. "It was never going to be him, not in the end. Being unmatchable thankfully pushed that timeline up, but I know that eventually I would have realized that YOU were who I really wanted. But by that point, you might have already moved on and I would have just lost out. So I guess I'm actually thankful about being unmatchable. And about Fitz struggling to accept it, even. It has made me finally see that I've liked you for far longer than I realized."

Keefe just sat there, quietly watching her. The look on his face was almost unfathomable, but Sophie thought that overall he just looked...triumphant. Slowly, his face transformed into an incredulous smile. He reached out and cradled her cheek in his free hand. "You don't know how long I've wanted to hear that," he whispered with wide eyes.

That gave her the boldness to continue. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I came to you with my Fitz problems. I had no idea how painful it must've been for you, but still, I'm so sorry. You were so kind and sweet and thoughtful, even though I must've been making things so hard for you. But even then, you found a way to be there for me."

Keefe moved his free hand from her cheek and pressed it to her lips to quiet her. "You have NOTHING to apologize for. Yeah, it was a bummer, being so keenly aware of how you felt about Fitz. But I knew that ultimately, making you happy was all that mattered. I wanted you to be happy with me, to pick me, but if that wasn't going to happen I still wanted you happy...no matter what you chose. It's why I once promised you would always have me. So don't feel bad and don't apologize. And don't worry. I was not going to be moving on. I was still holding out hope. No one else could ever compare to you," he added with a grin.

Sophie smiled gratefully, then leaned in and kissed his cheek. Keefe just went on staring at her for a moment, looking both intense and nervous at the same time.

"Sophie?"

Now it was Sophie's turn to say "hmm?" But her heartbeat kicked it up a notch due to the fervency of his gaze.

"Sophie, I love you." He bit his lip, then continued on in a rush. "I know it's really early to say that, and you don't have to say anything back, but I just wanted you to know. I've been thinking it for a while, even before I left, it was becoming clear to me that I was falling in love with you, and—"

And this time, it was Sophie's turn to press her free hand against Keefe's mouth to silence him. "Keefe." She locked eyes with him, her heart swelling. "I love you too." His face broke out into the most adorable grin imaginable.

"Really??"

"I think that's what I've been trying to say the last few minutes. I'm serious about this relationship too." She squeezed his hand. "Keefe, I love you."

Neither one of them could quite believe their good luck as he pulled her face toward him for a kiss. But for the moment, there was nothing left to be said, so they happily sat and watched the alicorns some more, with Keefe's arm around her waist and her head on his shoulder.