Help

Keefe relayed only the bullet points of what Gisela had done and how he had been given his newer abilities. He didn't relay the trauma, the terror he felt as it was happening.

But he did share what happened that day in the Healing Center, and how terrible he felt about making everyone go numb, and how he felt there was no one that could help him. And how he had fled to the Forbidden Cities to try to keep her from being able to use him.

And then he told Will about Elysian and the third step of Stellarlune, and explained to Will that the ability he had just manifested was the full, complete, balanced ability—not the raw, unfinished version Keefe had first manifested, and that learning to control it would be just like managing any other ability.

Since their minds were still connected, he privately asked Sophie to go hail Grady, since his ability as a Mesmer was also scary, powerful, dangerous and rare.

Within minutes, Grady was there. Sophie greeted him outside.

He wrapped his arms tightly around Sophie. "How are you, kiddo?"

Sophie shrugged. "Mostly worried about Keefe. I'm worried about Will too, but...I know he just needs time to adjust. But taking care of Will is the only thing keeping Keefe from spiraling right now."

When they came back inside, Keefe had his arms around his son again.

"I'm so sorry that happened to you, Dad," Will was saying.

Keefe may have kept the trauma out of his words, but there was no hiding his emotions from Will, who seemed to understand that it had been far more terrible than Keefe was letting on.

"Listen," Keefe told him. "This ability...it's powerful, but it's manageable. I'm just struggling with my own issues right now. I don't want you to panic."

"He's right," Grady chimed in. "When I manifested as a Mesmer..." he shuddered. "Even all these years later, it's hard to describe. But it was very scary. But as you work to gain control, it becomes a part of you. I almost never use my ability, but when I do, I control it. It doesn't control me. And I'm sure in time, your dad will be able to show you how he switches the ability off."

"Like Amy and Mom do with their enhancing?"

Keefe smiled. "Exactly like that. I don't even feel the irresistible pull to say a command unless I switch the ability on. Mom can hail Magnate Leto and get your schedule switched up. I'll mentor you in this ability too, just like we do with your empathy."

Sophie slipped out of the room again and did as Keefe said.

Leto said they would need to alert the Council. Now that they knew this ability could be passed on, it was time to finally do what Keefe had been avoiding--give it a name.

Years ago, he had refused to name it. Naming it made it real, made it official. He was hoping it was just an anomaly.

Sophie opted to let Leto handle contacting the Council so that she could focus on her family. All she asked was that he ask them not to disturb them for the rest of the day--and that they allow Keefe to decide on the name of the ability.

When she came back in, Will looked calmer. But he also looked exhausted.

"I'm even more tired than I was after manifesting my empathy," he admitted. "It's barely after lunch but all I want to do is go to bed."

So Sophie made Will some slumberberry tea, while Grady went to find Flori and asked her to bring some calming flowers--her specialty—to Will's room.

Before giving him the tea, she pulled Will into her arms. "My little guy," she said affectionately. "I hope you know how much we love you. And I'm so proud of how you handled yourself today. And...don't think I didn't notice the cute little moment you and Anna shared," she added with a wink as she pulled away.

"Mom..." Will groaned, blushing.

Grady snorted, but said nothing until Will had taken his tea and gone upstairs, hugging Keefe again before he went. "You sounded just like your mother," Grady told Sophie with a grin. "I can't wait to go home and tell her." He stole a glance at Keefe, who hadn't moved from the couch and seemed to be succumbing to his panic at last. "Should I stay?" he whispered uncertainly.

Sophie bit her lip. "I don't know. Maybe better if you go ahead and go. But..." she thought for a second before whispering, "can you hail Elwin and let him know what's going on? Keefe looks like he's going catatonic. I'm hoping Keefe won't need any elixirs, but he might."

Grady nodded and kissed Sophie's cheek. Before pulling away, he whispered in her ear. "You may consider hailing Cassius. He knows better than anyone what it was like to be experimented on by Gisela. He may be able to help Keefe."

Sophie nodded, but said nothing out loud.

Grady walked over to Keefe and crouched down on the floor in front of him, looking him directly in the eyes.

Keefe looked at him but said nothing.

"You're a good dad," Grady told him quietly. "Will is okay right now only because of how strong you were today. Don't forget that." He gripped Keefe's shoulder. "You know where I'll be if you need anything. Edaline and I love you all very much. Hang in there, son."

And then he glittered away, back to Havenfield.

Sophie sat back down onto the couch and wrapped her arms around Keefe—who remained very tense—holding him tightly. "I love you," she whispered repeatedly. Eventually, he loosened up and sank into her hug, tears finally starting to flow.

"I really thought we were in the clear," he finally said in a choked voice. "Oh, I feel like I'm going to be sick." He closed his eyes and took several slow, deep breaths.

Sophie went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of Youth and brought it back in, insisting that Keefe drink it.

He forced down a sip before setting the bottle down and reaching for Sophie. She held him tightly, his tears soaking into the shoulder of her tunic.

"I hate this, I hate this," he mumbled repeatedly.

Sophie felt helpless. She remembered his reaction in Alluveterre, when they thought Gisela was dead. All she could do that day was hold him while he cried.

She was afraid that he needed more than that this time.

"Do you want me to hail Elwin?" Sophie asked, soothingly running her fingers through his hair. "A mood enhancer might help. Or something for nausea if you still feel sick."

Keefe sat up and looked at her. "I think I just need to feel this one. The only way past this is through it."

"How can I help?"

Instead of answering, Keefe just leaned in and kissed Sophie desperately, clinging to her like a lifeline.

Or maybe that was his answer. Maybe he just needed a distraction, even if just for a few minutes.

And when he finally pulled away, he did look slightly less manic.

"Keefe?" Sophie was hesitant to ask, but she also thought Grady was right. "Should we hail your dad? We probably need to let him know. Before he hears it from someone else."

Keefe closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them, he actually looked comforted by the idea. "Yes. We should have hailed him already."