Conversations and Sketches

"Sophie, wake up." Keefe's voice sounded soothing as he gently shook her. "You're having a nightmare, wake up, everything is okay."

Sophie gasped and her eyes burst open.

"There's my girl," Keefe whispered, relieved. "Your panic and fear woke me up." He laid back down and pulled her tightly against his chest, stroking her hair, other hand firmly pressing against her back. "I couldn't let you keep dreaming about whatever it was."

Sophie snuggled in close. "I appreciate that. Oh, it's nice having you here now when I have nightmares."

"Have you still been having them? You haven't said anything in ages, not since I got that panicked call from you that night at Havenfield."

"That's because I haven't had another one that bad," she assured him. "Every now and then I'll have a nightmare, but sometimes they don't wake me up, and even when they do, I've been able to calm myself down pretty quickly and go back to sleep. But still, having you here makes it so much better. I'm sorry I woke you, though." The room was still dark, Sophie figured they were only halfway through the night.

"Don't be," he murmured. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Sophie shrugged. "I dreamed your mom somehow escaped from Exile and came to find me."

"That would be terrifying. Thankfully, no one can escape from Exile. When we rescued Prentice, it took a whole team of us, and almost all of the Neverseen are in Exile too so they can't help her. Plus we got caught and Fitz was almost killed and we only got Prentice out because the Council agreed to bring him to us. So don't worry, Foster. You're safe."

"I know. Dreams are weird that way, defying reality yet feeling so real." Any panic she'd felt in her dream had dissolved when she'd woken up to Keefe's voice and his strong arms around her. Sophie snuggled in closer, perfectly content.

Keefe chuckled. "You don't seem to be very worked up over it. All I'm getting right now is a whole lot of warm fuzzy feelings for your favorite Hunkyhair."

"Mmm," Sophie said, already half asleep again. "Fuzzy feelings. Yup."

Keefe laughed quietly and kissed the top of her head. "I love you, Foster."

Sophie tried to respond but blissful sleep was pulling her back in.

The next morning, Sophie awoke to find she was alone in their bed. As she quietly sat up, she saw Keefe, in his pajama pants, apparently in the middle of a workout. He didn't seem to notice she was awake, so she simply watched him as he worked.

So this was the routine that he must've started while he was with the Neverseen.

This was what gave his arms, chest and abs that muscle definition she loved so much.

Sophie found she thoroughly enjoyed watching him.

But after a minute or two, Keefe's concentration broke. He slowly stood up, shaking with laughter.

"Holy flareadon, Foster. You know I can feel exactly what you're feeling right now."

Sophie bit her lip. Oops. "Sorry. You just look...really good."

He smirked at her. "Yeah?"

"But I'll try to control myself. Don't let me distract you." She laid back down, unsure whether she was feeling more embarrassed or flirtatious. "You can finish your workout if you want."

But Keefe just shook his head as he slinked towards her. "No chance of that," he murmured, climbing back into bed, hovering over her and lightly kissing along her collarbone.