Ro (part 1)

Sophie knew something was wrong the moment she leapt home from Foxfire. Bo was standing on the grounds looking at her, Keefe and her parents by his side.

"Come," Bo said simply, heading into the house.

She looked at Keefe inquisitively, but his ice blue eyes held only confusion. "I don't know," he whispered, taking her hand as they walked through the door. "He just got here a couple of minutes ago, interrupted my training with Grady and was just saying he needed to tell me something when you showed up."

Bo lead them into the living room and then, in a very matter-of-fact tone, told Keefe "Ro has been found."

Keefe eyed Bo suspiciously. "I can't really read your emotions. You don't seem particularly happy or particularly upset. So please just tell me the rest."

Bo shrugged. "It seems she finally caught up with Cadfael and his band of rebels. But stopping him wasn't as easy as she thought it would be. Our people found her today, unconscious and badly beaten. She's been taken home for medical attention, but they don't know if she can survive the nature and extent of her injuries."

Stunned silence. Sophie sank down onto the couch, dimly aware of Keefe doing the same. Barely noticing Edaline reaching out to take her free hand or Grady placing a steadying hand on Keefe's shoulder.

Not Ro.

Ro, the one FUN ogre.

Ro, who had helped keep Keefe in line--and keep him company when he was forced to live with Lord Cassius.

Ro, who seemed capable of handling anything.

Ro, who had not only given Sophie her own personal dagger, but had given her the mental strength to use Hope if necessary.

Ro, who had been cheering for Sophie and Keefe from the moment she met them.

Sophie looked at Keefe. Every thought she was having seemed to be coursing through him as well.

After a moment, Keefe looked up at Bo. "I'd like to go see her."

Sophie squeezed his hand. "WE would like to go see her."

But Bo shook his head. "No. You haven't been given permission to enter the city. I will pass along your wish, but I don't know if it will be granted. And even if it is, it may not be in time. But she's not awake anyway, she won't know you're there. I'm only telling you because she's your bodyguard and you've been waiting for her to return to her assignment."

Keefe looked, for a moment, like he might hit Bo. "You're her husband! How can you stand there and tell us she's dying and not seem to even care?" he practically shouted. 

"I won't discuss this with you any further," Bo said darkly. "Someone will keep you updated on her condition and let you know if you will be given permission to visit." And with that, he was gone.

Sophie could hardly think. She remembered her fears for Sandor's life. She remembered thinking Sandor was dead. The relief when she found out he'd survived. What about now? Would they get good news again this time? Or would they be caught up in grief, in mourning another casualty of this stupid war? How could they possibly handle the waiting?

Grady cleared his throat. "I'm so sorry, Keefe. Sophie. I know Ro was more than just a bodyguard to you."

"Please don't use the past tense, not yet," Keefe pleaded with him. "Ro is strong. She'll surprise us all and pull through. She has to."

"Hopefully you're right," Grady said, giving Keefe's shoulder a squeeze as he crouched down to get at eye level with him. "Is there anything Eda and I can do to help you through this right now?"

Keefe looked at Grady's hand on his shoulder, then back up at Grady. Sophie was touched to see there were tears in his eyes that hadn't been there a moment before. "Is this what having a supportive dad is like?" he asked, mostly to himself.

Edaline let out a small sob and moved over to give Keefe a big hug. Even in the shock and the fear of this unfortunate turn of events, Sophie's heart swelled to see Keefe lean into the hug, with Grady joining in, holding one arm out for Sophie to join them.

Keefe, whose parents never showed him they cared. Keefe, who didn't know any kind of parental love or compassion unless he was hanging out with Fitz.

Sophie was so grateful to Grady and Edaline for welcoming Keefe into their lives like this.

After a moment, the hug broke apart. Keefe, with wet eyes, looked at Grady. "With your contacts in the council, do you think you could ask the right people to reach out to King Dimitar and ask his permission for us to come? I am--sort of--a Mercadir, maybe he would be willing to cut through the stupidity and just let us come?"

Grady smiled. "I'll see what I can do."

Keefe nodded, then looked at Sophie. "I want to go to the Shores of Solace. Maybe gather up the few things she kept there. And...think through some memories."

"Of course. Can I come? Or do you want to go alone?"

"Alone probably isn't good for me right now. Especially if dear old dad is around. Please, come. And I guess that means you're coming too, Gigantor?" he called out with a brave attempt at lightening the mood.

Sandor, who Sophie hadn't even realized was standing in the doorway, said simply "I go where Sophie goes."

And with that--and another hug from Edaline--Sophie took Keefe and Sandor's hands as they stepped outside and leapt away.