Grady

Sophie awoke after a few hours of sleep. Transmitting a quick thank you to Silveny for keeping the nightmares at bay, she rushed to get dressed and brush her hair--ignoring Vertina's snooty comments as best she could--before heading downstairs. Before she made it around the corner to the table, she heard voices. When she realized it was Keefe and Grady, she paused.

"...surprised you're already awake. I don't expect the rest of your friends to arrive for a while longer."

"I know. Sleep would probably be smart, but I really wanted to find a moment to talk to you before everyone gets here since we aren't training this morning."

Keefe was seeking out a private moment with Grady? Sophie couldn't understand why. Was he that desperate to get Grady to like him? The thought somehow sent shivers down her spine and warmed her at the same time. Curiousity got the better of her and she quietly stood still to listen.

Grady sighed. "That sounds...interesting."

There was a long pause. "Well," Keefe finally said. "It's about Sophie. I know you have never liked me very much, but I want to change that. I want you to be okay with me being around. Normally I wouldn't care. I'm used to being around a dad that doesn't like me." The unemotional, offhand way Keefe said that made Sophie's heart ache again. "But this is different," Keefe finished quietly.

"I never said I don't like you, Keefe. I hope our training sessions have made it clear that I am not like your--well, that I am a fair person," Grady corrected himself. But then he continued. "It's been obvious to Edaline and myself that you and Sophie have had a very special friendship from the start. The problem is, being close to someone makes you vulnerable. And I admit I find it very hard to forget the day Sophie came home, sobbing and almost incoherent, because you'd left to join the enemy."

His voice was firm, but not unkind. But Sophie shuddered. She didn't want Grady adding that grief and guilt to Keefe, it wasn't good for him to feel too guilty. She almost burst into the room to come to Keefe's defense, but then she heard Keefe speak up in a pained voice. "I'm so sorry. I didn't think I'd ever earn her trust back--hers or any of our friends--after that, and I know I didn't really deserve to. But we've talked about it, and--"

Grady cut him off. "Let me finish," he said gently. "You came back. You helped rescue her and Edaline after what happened in Lumenaria. You have been a good friend to her, comforted her while her human parents were missing. Helped her come to terms with being unmatchable. I don't hate you, Keefe. I just don't want Sophie getting hurt, and you've already hurt her on more than on occasion, and you've not even been dating."

"About that. That's why I'm here. Sophie and I have just started dating." Sophie heard Grady's sharp intake of breath, but Keefe kept going. "We haven't really told anyone yet, but I wanted you and Edaline to know. My parents don't matter, but you do. I didn't want you thinking I was hiding anything from you. And I want you to know I'm going to do everything I can to earn your trust. I'm not going to hurt her again. And...I wanted to make sure you know that this isn't like before. I'm not like..." Keefe was clearly afraid to mention Brant or Jolie by name, but Grady seemed to understand what he was implying.

"You'd better not be," he growled. Then a pause. " I knew this was coming," he mumbled, mostly to himself. "Sophie is that important to you? You're not just chasing her for the fun of it? Because if you are--"

"No," Keefe said emphatically. The next part came out in a rush. "No. It's not like that with her, it's not a game, I'm in lo--I mean," Keefe coughed. "She means a lot to me."

There was a long pause, but Sophie barely noticed. What had Keefe almost said?? That he loved her? Sophie's world was spinning. Fear, affection, shock, and if she was being honest with herself, joy were all threatening to overwhelm her. She almost didn't catch Grady's words when he finally spoke again.

"Were you about to say you're in love with my daughter?" Sophie couldn't make out Grady's tone.

"That just sort of...slipped out. Please don't say anything to her, this is very new and I don't want to scare her off. But I've liked her for a long time and like you said, our friendship is very close. I don't have a lot of good in my life. At least, I didn't until the Vackers took me under their wings. So...yes. I'm in love with Sophie. I found something good with her and I want to hold on to it. But I'm not in a hurry and I'm not going to push her."

"I really don't know what I'm supposed to say to that," Grady muttered in a confused voice. After a short pause, he continued. "I'm grateful for your apology and for your honesty. You scare me, especially your willingness to sit here with me and discuss things so openly, and to freely claim such a depth of feeling for her at your age. Brant and Jolie were the same way and I believe their feelings were genuine, but that did not end well for any of us. Yes, that scares me. I can't lose another daughter. But Sophie is strong and she's growing up. And I believe you truly are different from Brant, and the situation is very different. So for what it's worth, I am okay with the two of you dating. But don't hurt her again or I'll sic Sandor on you." Sophie heard the sound of a chair scooting back. "If that's all, I need to get out to the pasture to feed Verdi."

Sophie crept partway up the stairs again, so she wouldn't be discovered. But she heard Grady speak again from the doorway. "For what it's worth, Keefe, I do like you. You have already proved to be a far better person than either of your parents. Don't forget that."