Everglen

After school, Sophie and Keefe both headed to Everglen to hang out with Biana and Fitz.

As soon as they walked through the door, Sophie realized she hadn't really seen Alden or Della since she'd started dating Keefe.

"Whoa," Keefe whispered, pulling Sophie aside. "What's got you so nervous all of a sudden?"

Sophie shrugged. Do you think Alden and Della know?

Keefe stiffened. I don't know. Alden wasn't here last week when I hung out with Fitz. He looked supremely uncomfortable for a moment. Sophie remembered Keefe telling her about his conversation with Alden before Alvar's tribunal. Oh well. Guess we'll find out. And they went to catch up with their friends, parting ways on the stairs.

As soon as they got to Biana's room, Biana closed her door, rounded on Sophie and started squealing in excitement. "Sophie!! You'll never guess what happened?"

Biana's excitement was contagious. Sophie couldn't help but grin as she replied "I don't know, but I imagine it has something to do with Dex?"

Biana nodded, a goofy grin on her beautiful face. "It was so sweet. You know we've been hanging out a lot lately and I've been thinking for a while now that it might be something more, for me at least. But it was different than the silly crush I used to have on Keefe, just because he was the cute older boy hanging out with my brother all the time. And I didn't really think Dex liked me back, but we were hanging out here yesterday-we usually come here, because-"

"Because the triplets?" Sophie interjected with a laugh.

"Well, yes exactly. Anyway, we were just wandering the grounds and talking, but then after a while he reached out and took my hand. So I was quietly freaking out because Dex was holding my hand and we walked like that for a while, just talking...and then it got quiet for a minute. And I looked at Dex and he was blushing a little and looked kind of nervous, but he just kept looking at me. And then the next thing I knew, he kissed me!"

The pure joy in Biana's eyes nearly brought tears to Sophie's. "I knew it! Biana I'm so happy for you both!"

Biana blushed a little. "Okay so...you should know...he told me about the day the two of you kissed."

"Oh wow, he did?!"

"Was it...did you really...I mean, he said it ended up being really awkward? You didn't enjoy it?"

"Yeah, it was," Sophie admitted. "I think because we both knew it wasn't really right, he thought he liked me but the feelings just weren't really there."

"I can't imagine. I mean I'm glad for my own sake that it didn't work out, but...I can't imagine being kissed by Dex and it not being...perfect." There was a misty, faraway look in her eyes.

"I get it. Trust me, there was a big difference between that kiss and kissing Keefe." Sophie smiled affectionately thinking about him. "So...does this mean you're dating now?"

"Yes, but we haven't said anything yet. My parents expect me to register for the match but...I don't know if Dex is going to. And honestly, if things go well with him, I don't see why I'd bother. I never would have thought that even a year ago but now, the matchmaking process doesn't seem nearly as important, even as a Vacker."

Sophie was pleasantly surprised to hear Biana say that. Even considering allowing a bad match was a huge thing for a Vacker. "What do you think your parents will say?"

"I don't know...I mean... we're Vackers. And our name has already been dragged through the mud thanks to the troll hive so I know they'll want to try to show the world we still follow the rules and everything. But also, my parents are reasonable people and they like Dex and the Dizznees. I don't think they'll disapprove of Dex at all, but I don't know how they'll take it if I choose not to register."

Sophie nodded, just taking it in. "So...a lot to consider."

"But Dex is worth it," Biana said with conviction.

Sophie reached out to pull her friend into a big hug. "I'm so happy for you both," she repeated as she pulled away.

"For the record, I'm happy for you and Keefe too. Even Fitz is trying to be happy for you."

Sophie considered asking what Alden and Della thought, but decided against it. She didn't need to stick Biana in the middle.

The rest of the afternoon passed amiably, and they wound up staying for dinner. Alden and Della did not behave like anything was different, they were just as friendly and kind as ever.

Before they knew it, Sophie and Keefe were saying their goodbyes and leaping, hand in hand, back to Havenfield.

"Well, I had an interesting day, and judging by the jittery excitement coming off of you, I'm assuming you did too?" Keefe asked, still holding Sophie's hand, as they walked toward the house.

"Very interesting. Can you keep a secret?"

"If it's about Biana and Dex, I already know. Sounds like Dex has been spending a LOT of his free time at Everglen and Fitz outright asked Biana this morning what was going on between them. Apparently she was practically singing and dancing while getting ready for Foxfire today." He elbowed Sophie in the side.  "Sounds like Dex's second kiss turned out more successful than his first," he teased.

"I know mine sure did," Sophie said playfully, stopping and wrapping her arms around Keefe's shoulders.

"Well that's a relief," he murmured as he leaned in to kiss her goodnight. "Now...I bet you're about to go to your room and hail Dex, aren't you?"

Sophie grinned. "Sure am."

Dex answered pretty quickly. "Hey Sophie!"

Sophie grinned at him. "Hey, Dex."

Dex's face turned slightly pink, but he looked very happy when he asked "she told you, didn't she? I can tell by the way you're looking at me."

"Oh she absolutely did. She could hardly contain herself. Dex, I'm so happy for you both!"

Dex grinned in response. "Thanks." Slight pause. "Sophie?"

"Yeah?"

"Did she..." he looked embarrassed.

"She said it was perfect," Sophie assured him. "She was honestly amazed that you and I didn't feel any spark when we kissed. Trust me, Dex, it was magical for her."

Dex's dimples made their appearance as his face broke out into a relieved smile. "Well it was definitely a different experience for me than it was with you. I guess you were right all along."

"Me being right about something was bound to happen eventually, right?" Sophie laughed.

Dex grinned. "Who'd have thought I'd wind up falling for a Vacker?"

"Not me. You hated them when I first met you."

"That's all down to you, Sophie. You came in and shook everything up. You forced us all to change our thinking. We all owe you so much. I didn't have much of a life outside of my own family before you came along."

Sophie wished they were having this conversation in person so she could hug him. "I'm glad I didn't just ruin everything."

"Ruin everything?? Sophie, you've made things so much better. And eventually, the whole elven world will know it."

"Well that comes down to you, too. Let's not forget how many times you've saved my life. And Fitz's, too. All of us really. If you hadn't thought to make those rings, most of us wouldn't even be here now."

Dex grinned. "I guess we have a lot to be thankful for."

"For sure," Sophie agreed. They said their goodbyes and Sophie went to bed that night feeling like maybe things were going to work out, if only they could defeat the Neverseen with no more casualties.