Newborn Days

Apart from their visits with their friends, Sophie and Keefe merely enjoyed their time getting to know their little girl.

One morning, Sophie woke up to discover that Keefe wasn't in bed. When she went downstairs, she found him asleep on the couch with Emma asleep on his chest.

This was definitely a moment Sophie wanted to have him paint. She could just project it into her memory log, but she'd rather share the image with Keefe and have him paint it. It was so much more personal that way.

Keefe slowly opened his eyes and looked up at her. He smiled softly as he carefully sat up, trying not to wake the baby.

"She woke up earlier, hungry. I don't know how I managed to wake up and hear her before you did, but I'm glad I did. You got to sleep in and I got extra Emma snuggles."

Sophie sat down next to him and leaned in for a kiss. "Well thank you for that. And I guess you got some more sleep too?"

Keefe nodded. "Until your emotions woke me up," he said with a smirk. "It's not very often that swoony feelings wake me up instead of sexy ones."

Sophie grinned at him. "I wouldn't say they weren't sexy ones too," she corrected him.

He looked at the time. "I bet we have an hour or so before she'll need to eat again." He raised his eyebrows and looked at Sophie.

Sophie grinned. "If you can get Emma back in bed without waking her..."

"Oh, I will," Keefe said with a confident smirk. "Then I'll get you in bed, too."

Later that morning, while feeding Emma, Sophie looked over at Keefe. "We haven't checked in with your dad again since his first visit," she said hesitantly.

"I know," Keefe said. "I've been meaning to hail him and see if he wants to come visit again, or at least say hi to her through the Imparter. It's just...I don't know how to act around him now so I've been putting it off."

"I understand that," Sophie told him. "And I won't push you."

"I know you won't." Keefe leaned over and kissed her forehead before looking down at Emma. "But she's done eating and is wide awake—aren't you, baby girl?" He crooned.

"Not sleepy!" Emma agreed, looking up at Keefe.

"Well then maybe I should just suck it up and hail my dad now. Let him see her and say hi while she's awake." He looked at Emma. "Want to say hi to Grandpa?"

"Grandpa Grady? Coming to visit?" Emma's little newborn features weren't smiling yet, but she looked very earnest.

She loved Grady and Edaline.

So Sophie couldn't blame her for assuming that was who Keefe meant. They had come by just about every day to see Emma, so she knew them almost as well as she knew Sophie and Keefe.

"No, baby girl, but we will see them later. We are going to go have dinner with them tonight so you get to see their house and meet the animals! And I'll show you a very special tree and tell you all about our friend Calla. But right now, you want to say hi to Grandpa Cassius?"

"See Grandpa," Emma replied.

Keefe took Emma into his arms and kissed her forehead. Then he grinned at Sophie. "No matter how many times it happens, it's so amazing. Her little emotions spike every time I kiss her."

"I told you long ago—our kids will always know how much you love them." Sophie leaned over and kissed Keefe affectionately before handing him his Imparter.