The Question

Sophie thought she saw tears shining in both of her parents' eyes as she and Keefe walked away, but decided she must've imagined it.

They walked in silence for a moment. Then Sophie asked, carefully, "are we going to talk about your dad showing up today?"

Keefe shrugged. "I'm still kind of shocked. But I guess maybe he listened to you that day. I don't see what good he thinks he can do now, but he can try. We'll see if he does."

"Somewhere, buried deep, he does love you. I saw it. I just don't understand why he felt the need to squash it instead of embrace it."

Keefe squeezed her hand gently and said, "enough about that. Let's talk about something happier." He was quiet for a second, thinking. "Do you remember the night I gave you that stuffed elf? My peace offering for running away?"

"Of course I remember. You know I still have it."

"I can't tell you how often I would look at that elf and long to give it to you. It was a little reminder of you while I was gone. I changed Iggy's fur—looking even more wild than I thought he would—to give you something to remember me by. So I got the elf. And couldn't help but look at the pictures I'd drawn of you, even though it was almost unbearably painful when I did."

Sophie squeezed his hand. "You know, Ro changed Iggy's fur almost immediately. I didn't tell her, but I was crushed. Your last gift for me and she changed it."

Keefe laughed. "I'm glad that wasn't the end of our story, then."

Sophie smiled. "I also remember being really confused when you gave me the elf. I finally understood that I liked you but was trying to tell if you still liked me...and then I thought that elf was so sweet...but then you didn't hug me or anything. And you've always been a big hugger, at least with me, and now suddenly you weren't."

"Because I was so stinking confused. I couldn't tell if I was feeling your emotions or just imagining it. It felt like—well, like you liked me, but I couldn't trust it. Also, I was afraid if I hugged you it would've opened the floodgates and I would've poured my heart out to you."

"Which would have been exactly what I wanted to hear," Sophie pointed out.

"Yeah, I know that now," Keefe said, laughing softly. "And then the time soon after that when you asked why I wasn't dating anyone."

"I felt like I was dropping hints pretty hard."

"I can see that now, but at the time I was so used to you not knowing, not picking me, that I just told myself you were trying to encourage me to move on. Even when I thought I detected a flicker of disappointment. I hadn't realized just how much I relied on my Empathy to discern how a conversation was going."

"I guess it would've been much more straightforward if your Empathy hadn't been so messed up."

By now they had entered their favorite clearing in the Grove.

"Trust me, if I could've felt your emotions when you guys showed up at my hotel room, I wouldn't have left you confused and waiting."

"What would you have done?" Sophie asked playfully, nudging him.

Keefe stopped and looked at Sophie. "I don't think I'd have been able to stop myself from kissing you. Which would've made Dex and Bangs Boy awfully uncomfortable but totally would've been worth it."

"Really? Because even when I opened up and told you how I felt, it took some coaxing and convincing before we got there."

"I know, but that first night, I was so shocked— and so happy—to see you. I really thought I'd never see you again, so when I opened that door and you were standing there...it was overwhelming. If I had been able to feel your emotions when you hugged me—almost violently, might I add—it would've been a different story."

Sophie smiled ruefully. "It also would've been exactly what I'd been hoping for."

"Sorry about that. But at least this way, our first kiss got to be more private. And, in this very spot. Even if it was interrupted and cut short." He leaned in towards her and kissed her softly.

"That's true," she whispered. She wrapped her arms around him. "I love you."

"I love you too." Keefe's hands rested lightly on Sophie's hips. "And don't worry...no interruptions this time."

Sophie looked up at him. "You don't know that," she pointed out. "Our friends will start arriving soon. One of them—or Flori, or one of the other gnomes—could walk in at any time and ruin this moment."

Keefe's eyes looked like they could burn a hole through Sophie as he gazed intently at her. "No, Foster. Flori is standing guard to make sure no one interrupts us this time."

Confused, Sophie was about to ask what he was talking about when Keefe pulled her closer to him, one hand on the small of her back, the other on her cheek. "I love you so much, Sophie," he whispered right before their lips met.

It felt, to Sophie, like time was standing still. Everything else just faded away. The only thing that mattered, right then, was this incredible person here with her. His gentle, soft lips against hers. The warmth and strength of his hands. The feel of his hair between her fingers. Nothing had ever been so sweet, so idyllic. What on earth could possibly make this moment more perfect?

Almost as though Keefe knew what she was thinking, he pulled away and looked at her, a slightly nervous smile on his lips. "I once told you that I could never be stuck with you and that I would someday make you see that. Do you remember?"

Sophie nodded, unsure where he was headed with this but heart racing all the same.

"Well, I really hope I've been successful," he said as he reached into his pocket. "It'll sure make this next part a lot easier."

Slowly, he knelt down on one knee. "Sophie Elizabeth Foster," he breathed, holding out a ring, "will you marry me?"