Foxfire

"You ready for this?" Sophie asked Keefe as they made their way up to the Leapmaster.

Keefe reached for her hand. "I'm curious as to how they've decided to help train me in my brand new manufactured ability, but...otherwise yes. Being around so many emotional, hormonal kids does sound kind of scary, but I also think the normalcy will feel good. Plus it means I get to see more of you throughout the school day, and I know how you pine for me when I'm not around!" Keefe smirked at her.

Sophie rolled her eyes, but squeezed his hand a little tighter. "Whatever you say, Keefe." And they leapt to Foxfire, hand in hand.

They didn't let go of each other's hands as they entered the school, something that definitely didn't go unnoticed by the girls they passed. There were already whispers about Keefe suddenly reappearing after missing a few weeks of school, but the jealous looks from nearly every girl they passed made Sophie feel both nervous and defiant at the same time.

"What did I tell you?" Sophie whispered to Keefe. "I knew all the girls would be jealous."

Keefe squeezed her hand. "Sorry, Foster. I can't help how ridiculously good looking I am. But don't worry, I've already chosen my girl. And she's the cutest too." He winked at her.

Sophie didn't want to let go of his hand, but before long they found some of their friends standing together, including Fitz. They pulled away from each other simultaneously. Sophie could tell Fitz had noticed. He didn't mention it, but she thought she saw a spasm of pain cross his face. But he offered her a small smile when he noticed her looking at him. Don't worry about me, he transmitted before saying out loud "You ready for more Cognate training this afternoon?"

Sophie grinned. "You bet. I think we're finally starting to impress Tiergan. It's the other classes I don't enjoy as much. Polyglot training with Master Cadence is...ugh."

Keefe sent Sophie a quick wink and mouthed "see you later" before heading off with Fitz to their hallway.

Sophie turned towards Biana and Dex, who she noticed were standing very close to each other. She'd been suspecting for a while that their friendship was turning into something more, and was curious to know if anything had happened between them.

"Sophie! You want to come over for a while after school? It's been forever." Biana said with a slightly pointed look in her eyes.

"Absolutely!"

"I'd invite myself over too," Dex said, "But I'm helping Dad in the store after school."

Sophie sighed. "Why does it seem we all only get to hang out when we're fighting for our lives?"

Dex laughed. "You and Keefe would be too busy making eyes at each other to notice the rest of us anyway," he teased. The squeaky, annoyed sigh behind her told Sophie that Sandor had also heard Dex's comment.

"Anyway," Sophie said with an eye roll, but blushing slightly all the same. "See you guys at lunch."

Lunch was a fun, relaxed event. Amazingly, Keefe had managed to avoid detention so far. They sat side by side, but the whole group was there, talking and laughing. They were trying to avoid contact or flirtatious behavior for Fitz's sake, but somehow the lack of open affection created almost an electric charge in the empty space between them. She could tell Keefe felt it too--or maybe it was merely because he could just feel what she was feeling. After a few minutes, he looked over and raised his eyebrows at her.

But then she felt his hand come to rest lightly on her knee under the table. She felt warmth flood through her at the sweet gesture and her heartbeat picked up. Shut up, she transmitted before he could comment. He began to lightly move his thumb in circles. It wasn't much, but she shivered a little at the touch. She heard Keefe laugh softly and she realized that he was doing it on purpose, messing with her. She couldn't help but notice, out of the corner of her eye, the proud grin on his face.

I love that I make you fluttery, he said in response. She merely placed a hand on top of his and squeezed gently. She suppressed a smile when she saw goosebumps climb up his arm.

I guess I make you fluttery too, she transmitted before closing the connection and rejoining the conversation at the table.

"Okay," Tiergan said when he entered the room for Telepathy training. "We have already established how important it is to keep the lines of communication open and to be honest with each other at all times. You've been on the brink of losing your connection once already, and I'm glad you were able to fix it, but I think maybe we will need to work extra hard to keep it from getting that bad again. A Cognate connection is somehow strong and fragile at the same time." He looked at Fitz. "Alden and Quinlin learned that the hard way. I don't want that to happen to you two, especially since your connection is so powerful. And given your age...well, you tend to feel things very strongly as teenagers. Finding your Cognate this young is uncharted territory. So today I just want you to communicate and make sure the air is clear."

Sophie paled slightly, but when she looked at Fitz he looked determined. He offered her a small smile before entering her mind.

Things have changed between us, but I'm glad this hasn't. You still trust me enough that I can get past your blocking. His smile widened.

Of course I trust you. And...I'm sorry.

You don't have to apologize.

I know. But...you still mean a lot to me. You're one of my favorite people, and I don't like knowing I've hurt you.

I'd say it's my own fault, Fitz said thoughtfully, but I get the feeling...it would've ended up this way regardless, wouldn't it?

Sophie hesitated. Yes. It would have. I hope you know, though, that my feelings for you were very real.

I know. But, your feelings for him were real too, and that's okay. He paused. I can't pretend this doesn't hurt, but I also know it won't hurt forever, not as long as I can keep my friendship with both of you. That's the most important part. And looking back...I can see you work really well together. I don't know how I didn't see it before.

Fitz, you know Keefe and I weren't together at all while you and I were, right? I didn't even realize I liked him until after he left.

Oh, I know. Keefe told me. All I mean is, I don't know how I didn't see it before. Everyone else seemed to know he had feelings for you, and most of them seemed to realize you had feelings for both of us. It seems you and I were the only oblivious ones. He laughed lightly. I mean, come on. I'm his best friend and did he leave me a goodbye note? No. Not a word. But he wrote you one. Only you.

Fitz, are you sure you're okay talking about this?

His face hardened a little. We have to. It sucks, but we have to. Our Cognate connection is too important. I know I've been a jerk to you sometimes but...I wanted it. I once told you your name was the only one I wanted to see on my list, and I meant it. I'd have refused to even throw a Winnowing Gala. Sophie's eyes widened a little at what he was implying. But I think...I think you're right. In the end we wouldn't have worked. You're my Cognate, one of my closest friends, and the mystery girl I brought home from the Forbidden Cities.

Sophie smiled warmly at him. You'll always be my first friend, my first crush, and the one who rescued me—more than once. I'm so thankful you and your family found me.

So...is there anything else we need to talk about?

I don't think so? I'm glad we got to talk about this.

He flashed his famous smile at her, and while it didn't make her go weak like it used to, it still warmed her heart. It proved that they really would be okay.