Ro (part 6)

Keefe and Sophie broke apart and rushed to Ro's side so fast it was almost comical. She was lying there, panting slightly, head turned towards them. She looked slightly out of it, but her eyes were wide open.

"Ro!" Keefe exclaimed. He looked like he wanted to hug her but was too afraid to touch her.

And that was probably a good thing. She really did look pretty rough.

"Hey, Hunkyhair," Ro panted weakly. "Long time, no see."

Even in her frail state, there was something vaguely threatening to her tone. Sophie stifled a giggle. Ro looked over at her. "So you finally figured it out, huh Blondie?"

Sophie grinned. "Didn't take me long once you pointed me in the right direction."

"Ro, I'm really sorry I used my ability against you like that. I didn't know what else to do. I was so scared and so stupid."

"Stupid is...right," Ro muttered.

Sophie had spent all morning hinging every hope on Ro waking up. But now that she was awake, Sophie could tell there was still a long road ahead. Ro could hardly get out a few words at a time.

Ro must've seen the fear in Sophie's eyes. She let out a little cough that was apparently supposed to be a laugh. "Don't worry about me, Blondie. Ogres heal fast." She paused and took a few breaths. "A lot faster than you wimpy elves." She looked over at Keefe. "Just you wait, Funkyhair."

"That'll sound a lot more threatening when you can say it all in one breath," Keefe countered. Sophie smacked him, but Ro let out another cough-laugh and then winced in pain.

Sophie stepped out into the hall to find someone to come check on Ro. The same female ogre as before came by and examined her carefully, asking a few questions. Apparently she did manage to kill Cadfael before the others overpowered her. She was satisfied when she heard that her people had continued the search after finding Ro.

"Good. I hope they get them all." Ro closed her eyes for a moment. "I think...I need to sleep." And within seconds, she was out.

Keefe looked at the female ogre with concern in his eyes. "She'll wake up again, right?"

"Probably. I don't think she's unconscious now, I think she's just resting. Just like you, our bodies heal best when we sleep. I'll let her sleep, but come get me when she wakes. I'd like to try to sit her up and have her eat and drink. She'll feel stronger when she gets some food inside her."

"Maybe the female ogres are just friendlier than the males," Sophie whispered to Keefe after the door was shut again.

Keefe snickered and shrugged. "Maybe so." Then he suddenly grabbed Sophie and pulled her in close again, catching her off guard. "Just to make up for the kiss Ro interrupted earlier," he whispered, bringing his lips to hers.

The way his hands slid down from her waist to her hips sent shivers down Sophie's spine. "Or to distract yourself from how weak she sounded," Sophie pointed out after a moment.

Keefe pulled back. "Way to kill the mood," he muttered.

Sophie laughed quietly. "Sorry," she said. "It freaked me out too."

Keefe brought up a hand and stroked Sophie's hair gently. "I guess this is new for you. Usually you're the one lying in bed hovering between life and death." He shuddered at the memories. "Ro actually looks and sounds pretty good in comparison. It's weird to see her so weak, but mostly I'm just relieved."

Sophie nodded, understanding now. "If you say so, then I believe you." She blinked innocently, eyes wide in mock penance. "Sorry I killed the mood, then."

"You're too cute to stay mad at, Foster. Don't worry about it." Keefe winked at her before moving back into his chair. Sophie followed suit, but scooted her chair right up against his and rested her head on his shoulder while they watched Ro sleep. Sometimes talking and joking in quiet voices, sometimes watching Ro in silence.

After a couple of hours, she woke again. It took the help of two ogres to get her in a seated position, but once they did, she was able to take some food and water. The effect was immediate, she seemed to have at least a small vestige of energy restored to her.

"Okay Blondie, tell me everything. How did you find Hunkyhair? Did you tell him you loooove him? Did you at least hit him for me?"

Sophie looked over at Keefe, unsure of what to say. She DID tell Keefe she loved him, but it felt strange to say it the way Ro did, like it was a joke.

"I got this," he whispered to Sophie. Then he looked at Ro. "I told you earlier all about how my mad kissing skills sealed the deal. But I guess since you were unconscious I'll tell it again."

And then he recounted his weeks in the Forbidden Cities, the sudden arrival of Tam, Dex and Sophie, and his return home. His inability to understand her emotions as his abilities seemed to have shut down. Without too many details, he told her that he and Sophie had finally had "the" conversation and had, indeed, kissed, before they had to go try to save the world again.

"I would cheer if I thought I wouldn't hurt something," Ro said. "Maybe now when I return to my post, you won't be so sad and mopey all the time. Though I'm not sure I can handle constant smooching either."

Keefe grinned wickedly. "Hey, you asked for it. Want a demonstration?" He looked over at Sophie and exaggeratedly puckered his lips. Sophie merely rolled her eyes.

"We should probably just let Ro get some real sleep. Do you think your father would let us visit again?"

Ro tried to shrug but winced in pain instead. "I'm awake now, it's not just up to him. Come back soon and bring some exciting stories. It's going to get very boring in here."

So they said their goodbyes, promised to come back soon, and left the room.