Moving Day

"I've never seen the inside of the Gold Tower before," Biana said in wonder.

"That's because you're not really allowed in unless you are living or having sessions here, and you're still too young," Fitz reminded her.

Keefe smirked. "Yeah, I bet Magnate Leto made Master Cadence let you in. And only because Foster here is totally his favorite student." He poked her in the side and winked. "Though I think I'm growing on him too."

"Growing like a tumor with a bloated ego," Tam muttered with an eye roll.

Sophie suppressed a laugh and looked at him. "How do you even know about tumors? Elves don't have those kinds of health problems."

Tam shrugged.

"Listen here, Bangs Boy--" Keefe started.

Dex jumped in quickly. "Sophie, having you around these last few years has proved to be quite the human education."

"Anyway," Fitz said. "Tam, why isn't Linh here?"

"Yeah," Keefe whined. "Doesn't she care about us at all?"

"Not as much as she seems to care about Wylie," Tam said with an eye roll.

"Are they dating?!" Dex practically yelped.

"Of course not, there's about a six year age difference. Which doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but right now it does. I don't know if there's anything there or not. I don't enjoy talking about these kinds of things so I haven't really asked yet," he added pointedly.

They had already brought in Fitz's belongings and were starting on Keefe's things. He didn't have nearly as many personal effects as Fitz, and nothing with the Sencen crest on it.

No one was surprised by that.

"It's weird, moving out of Everglen," Fitz said sadly.

"I get that. This isn't my first move, since I left Candleshade for the Shores of Solace. Not that either place ever really felt like home," Keefe said thoughtfully. "Honestly the Grove was more home than anywhere else. But they said we have to live in the towers. At least Fitzy and I are right next door to each other!"

Sophie was trying not to be sad about Keefe having to move, but things were definitely changing. Especially if she wasn't even technically going to be allowed to visit him in his dorm.

Keefe felt the slight downward shift in her mood. He reached out and took her hand. "Don't be sad," he whispered. "I'll still come over as much as I can, and I'll sneak you in to see me too," he added coyly.

"Just moving in and already contemplating breaking the rules?"

"Of course! Come on, Foster, you knew you fell in love with a rebel, it's time to embrace that fact."

Sophie grinned. "How about I settle for embracing you for now?" she teased as she pulled him in for a tight hug.

"I sure hope it's not just settling," Keefe murmured, gently squeezing her waist. He was just about to kiss her when--

"Okay, lovebirds, we get it," Fitz cut in loudly. He looked torn between exasperated and amused. "I swear between you guys here and Dex and Biana at home, I won't have a moment's peace."

Dex blushed slightly but put his arm around Biana, who stuck her tongue out good-naturedly at her big brother.

"If the Fitzter would just find his own girl to smoochy-smooch, maybe he wouldn't mind so much," Keefe pointed out.

"Dude, you say it like it's that easy. I always figured I wouldn't start seriously considering anything beyond registering for the match until I finished my elite levels. Then I would pick up my first packet and turn my focus on finding the right girl. But then Sophie came along and my feelings for her changed everything for a while. But now...I don't know. I do want to fall in love and get married, but right now? I think I'd rather focus on my studies, unless love insists on getting me early like it did you guys."

"Can we...stop talking about this stuff now?" Tam asked. "It's so sentimental and weird."

So they spent the rest of the morning getting Fitz and Keefe settled in to their dorms. Foxfire didn't start for a few more days, but things would look very different this year. Sophie, Tam, Linh, Dex and Biana had all managed to test out of year five and were skipping to year six. Apparently repeated near death experiences caused them to learn a lot of necessary skills in action. This meant they wouldn't be working in the same hallway as their other friends, or even the same building as Keefe and Fitz.

After they all ate lunch together, all but Sophie went their own separate ways. Sophie, however, lagged behind. They began walking back towards Keefe and Fitz's rooms.

"I'm going to go crack open some books," Fitz said dutifully. "Gotta stay the top student, you know, otherwise Keefe might surpass me." He had an amused glint in his eye as he turned to enter his room.

"No way am I passing you, I can't imagine bearing the shame of being the top student in the year!" Keefe called after him, pretending to be offended.

Sophie rolled her eyes and grabbed Keefe's hand, pulling him away from Fitz's door. "You know you're every bit as smart as he is," she reminded him as they entered his room.

Keefe fondly kissed the top of her head. "It's all about that bad boy image I'm trying so hard to maintain, Foster."