Wedding (part 1)

Sophie awoke the next morning to discover that Edaline must have conjured breakfast up to her room. There was a bowl of fruit, a bottle of lushberry juice, and a note that read "I'm sure you're nervous and excited, but try to eat anyway. And congratulations—you're getting married today!"

Sophie grinned. I'm getting married today. By the time she managed to force down some of the food and drink her lushberry juice, Biana had arrived.

"You're getting married today!" She squealed, dumping bags of makeup and hair product on Sophie's bed before wrapping her in a hug. "I can't wait for you to see how it looks outside, they're working hard to set things up and it's already looking so beautiful. But no peeking! Let it be a surprise."

Sophie, who had already turned to go look out her window, stopped and turned back to Biana. "Okay, fine. I guess it's makeover time?"

Biana clapped her hands excitedly. "Yes!" And she immediately set to work. She started on Sophie's hair, managing to pull it into a half-updo with intricate braids and soft curls cascading down her back.

"Wow," Sophie breathed. "There's no way I'd have been able to do that even with Vertina's help."

Biana smiled at her. "That's why I'm here." She then moved on to Sophie's makeup. Per Sophie's insistence, she didn't go overboard, but still managed to apply just the right amount of makeup where, when Sophie looked in the mirror, she still felt she looked like herself but also felt, for perhaps the first time, like she really was beautiful.

Even Vertina had nothing negative to say to her. "You look great!" she told Sophie. "I can't wait to see you in your dress!"

Elven weddings didn't have large wedding parties. Sophie had been tempted to follow human tradition on that one, but felt like having Biana, Linh, Rayni, Marella and Maruca all as bridesmaids might've been hard on Keefe, who might have had to wind up asking Tam to be a groomsman.

She knew, deep down, Tam and Keefe had grown to like each other more than they would admit, but still.

So it would just be Biana and Fitz standing with them during the ceremony.

Still, as her friends began to arrive, they all came in to see her. Edaline conjured lunch up for all of them and they ate, talking and laughing—but Sophie getting more and more antsy as the wedding approached—before finishing the process of getting ready.

Keefe? Sophie finally transmitted. She just needed to hear his voice—or rather his thoughts—for a moment.

I've been wondering if I'd hear from you, Foster. How did you sleep?

Ehh. Fine once I finally fell asleep.

Couldn't keep your mind off the Keefester?

Sophie rolled her eyes. But, he wasn't wrong. Maybe a little.

It's okay. I was thinking about you too.

Are you here somewhere?

Yup. Fitz and I are in Jolie's room getting ready. Be excited, Foster. I look good.

Sophie laughed. Don't you always?

Well, yeah, obviously. But I mean, I look really good today. Be prepared to swoon.

She rolled her eyes.

"Sophie!" Marella called out. "Get that goofy grin off your face, stop talking to Keefe and let us help you get your dress on!"

The girls are on to me, I have to go finish getting ready. I'll see you soon.

I'll be the sexy one at the front, Keefe told her before she broke the connection.