Celebrations

Celebrations at Foxfire were well underway. Sophie and her friends had passed their classes and were all set to begin their Elite levels when the next school year began. Fitz and Keefe, who had happily also passed—of course getting the highest grades in their year—had come to join their friends and celebrate with them.

Sophie went to wrap her arms around Keefe, leaned on her tiptoes and kissed him. "Maybe things will calm down now," she murmured. "You've been so distracted lately."

"Sorry," Keefe told her with an air of mystery. "You know me, I'm so...studious."

Sophie laughed, but suddenly felt Keefe stiffen in her arms. He was looking over her head at something behind her, looking wary. Sophie turned to follow his gaze.

Lord Cassius was striding toward them.

Sophie and Keefe both dropped their arms from around each other, though Keefe grabbed her hand. She held on tight.

"I thought I might find you here with your friends," Cassius said.

Keefe just nodded at him, his face difficult to read. But he was clutching Sophie's hand very tightly.

Cassius' eyes trailed down to their clasped hands—Keefe's turning noticeably white—before they settled again on his son's face.

"I don't want to push in, I just wanted to let you know that I received word a few minutes ago of your high marks and I wanted to congratulate you."

Keefe's eyes narrowed.

Remember what you told me? Sophie transmitted to him. We're trying to forgive.

Keefe didn't respond, but he loosened his grip on her hand and attempted to relax his features. "Thanks."

Cassius nodded, his normal oily demeanor carrying a hint of discomfort.

But it was clear—to Sophie, anyway—that he was trying.

"Yes, well. Very well done. Perhaps I haven't said that enough."

"You haven't said it ever."

Awkward pause.

"I suppose not. But I'm saying it now. But I can see that I am interrupting the festivities so I'll leave you to it."

He nodded once to Sophie, who tried to smile encouragingly at him—which was hard given her general dislike of him—and started to turn away.

It looked almost painful, but Keefe finally managed to say "thank you for coming by." Slight pause. "That means a lot."

Cassius cleared his throat and said a quiet goodbye, and then he was gone.

There was stunned silence. Their friends were all staring at Keefe, unsure of what to say to him.

"Well, that was...unexpected." Keefe muttered quietly to Sophie and Fitz, who were standing
closest to him.

"But look over there," Fitz pointed several feet away, where his parents were chatting with Juline and Kesler.

Keefe's conflicted expression cleared at once. "Oh wow, look how easily they're talking."

Fitz smiled. "They've been getting to know each other. I know my parents genuinely like them and feel they've formed a solid friendship. Which is good, all things considered."

"Biana said yesterday they were planning to tell your parents tomorrow morning..." Sophie started tentatively.

"Oh, that was the plan, but mom and dad actually asked about it yesterday evening. Dex was over studying with Biana, of course. I had come home for dinner, thankfully, or I wouldn't have been there with them. I thought she'd have hailed you last night, but I guess Dex stayed late." Fitz rolled his eyes. "I swear, they're almost worse than the two of you."

"Almost, but not quite, right?" Keefe smirked.

"Excuse me, boys, but can we get back to the big conversation that apparently occurred last night?!" Sophie interjected.

Fitz smiled at her. "Don't worry, it went very well. My parents said they weren't surprised that they've chosen not to register, and that they'll support them. They don't want to discount the whole matchmaking system—and neither do I—but they agree that it's created some unnecessary prejudices that have hurt a lot of people—people like the Dizznees. They were more surprised by Biana's decision to take Dex's name—especially since they aren't even engaged yet—but they also said they understood why she was choosing to do it. Dad told them he was proud of them for sticking to their beliefs, and then of course Mom started crying and threw her arms around both of them."

Sophie smiled fondly over at where Alden and Della were standing. "They really are incredible people." She watched them for a moment.

When she looked back over at Keefe and Fitz, they seemed to be having a silent conversation. Once they knew she noticed, they both jumped slightly and looked away. "What's up with you two?" She asked suspiciously.

"Nothing," they both said—a little too quickly.

Then Fitz cleared his throat. "I'll see you guys in a couple of hours, right?" Sophie nodded. "Sophie, I'm glad your parents invited us and our families all over for dinner. It's nice when we can all get together."

Fitz gave Sophie a hug and mouthed something to Keefe that looked like "good luck" before walking over to his family. Sophie wasn't sure what that was about, but before she could think or ask about it, Keefe took her hand again.

"You ready to go? I thought maybe we could get some alone time before everyone comes over."

Sophie smiled. "That sounds nice."

"Time together with no practicing or books or studying," he told her.

"Don't you mean me studying and you doing everything in your power to avoid it?"

Keefe pretended to be offended. "Well someone had to draw all those pictures of you. They weren't going to draw themselves."

"Someone apparently also had to spend a lot of time egging on Wynn and Luna and trying to teach them not to call you 'jerk' anymore."

Keefe didn't look at all like he regretted his life choices—and given how good his grades were, Sophie couldn't really blame him.

So hand in hand, they leapt back to Havenfield. Grady and Edaline had already begun setting up for the big dinner party that night. They would all be eating outside with Calla's beautiful Panakes tree. After another round of congratulatory hugs, and Edaline refusing to let Sophie help, Keefe tugged on her hand and told her "let's get out of their way. Want to go for a walk?"